Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ni...@wengatz.de on 2006/08/14 21:04:01 UTC

OSGi based SCA container

Hi,

I started today having a look to the SCA examples and I would like to thank
you for providing all the examples and documentation.
It was a very good starting point :-)

In addition I had a look to the Tuscany Developer Mailing List archive
and I found some entries talking about OSGi which I would like to discuss
with you.

>From my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) it's  currently possible to use:
-Tuscany standalone (e.g. HelloWorld example)
-together with Tomcat (e.g. to use the SOAP binding)
-or together with Celix (e.g. for the JMS example)

If I would define a binding for OSGi or use the WebService Binding, it should be
possible to invoke an OSGi based service (e.g. running in Equinox with the SOAP bundle) via Tuscany.

But what's currently missing is the integration with existing component frameworks like EJB and OSGi. If I have an EJB (or OSGi service) with its deployment descriptor or annotations, Business Delegates and Skeletons there is no mechanism to map the SCA external service/entry point to the existing Business Delegates and Skeletons.
Is this right or do you have already some ideas how to solve the integration?

I would like to use an OSGi container with e.g. an EJB, BPEL and Servlet OSGi bundle. For the communication between these technologies as well as for the communication from/to the outside (e.g. entry points and external services) I would like to use SCA.

Are we going to develop Tuscany in this direction?  What are your thoughts on this topic?

Thank you very much and best regards
Nicole

Re: OSGi based SCA container

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
On Aug 14, 2006, at 12:04 PM, <ni...@wengatz.de> <ni...@wengatz.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I started today having a look to the SCA examples and I would like
> to thank
> you for providing all the examples and documentation.
> It was a very good starting point :-)
>
> In addition I had a look to the Tuscany Developer Mailing List archive
> and I found some entries talking about OSGi which I would like to
> discuss
> with you.
>
> From my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) it's
> currently possible to use:
> -Tuscany standalone (e.g. HelloWorld example)
> -together with Tomcat (e.g. to use the SOAP binding)
> -or together with Celix (e.g. for the JMS example)
>
> If I would define a binding for OSGi or use the WebService Binding,
> it should be
> possible to invoke an OSGi based service (e.g. running in Equinox
> with the SOAP bundle) via Tuscany.
>
> But what's currently missing is the integration with existing
> component frameworks like EJB and OSGi. If I have an EJB (or OSGi
> service) with its deployment descriptor or annotations, Business
> Delegates and Skeletons there is no mechanism to map the SCA
> external service/entry point to the existing Business Delegates and
> Skeletons.
This is currently being worked on by the SCA spec group. Some early
whitepapers on the approaches can be found at: http://www.osoa.org/
display/Main/SCA+Resources
> Is this right or do you have already some ideas how to solve the
> integration?

I think the best way to approach this is through a binding or
implementation type, depending on the circumstance and technology.
For example, BPEL would be a component implementation type.

> I would like to use an OSGi container with e.g. an EJB, BPEL and
> Servlet OSGi bundle. For the communication between these
> technologies as well as for the communication from/to the outside
> (e.g. entry points and external services) I would like to use SCA.

Joel has contributed an OSGi integration with Tuscany so it would be
possible, for example, to have Tuscany consume OSGi services from a
host environment such as Equinox, for example an HTTP service.
Implementing a BPEL component type involves a more specific contract
with Tuscany and we have an extension mechanism for that.

Hope this helps.
Jim