Posted to users@felix.apache.org by LongkerDandy <lo...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/06 16:15:29 UTC

UPnP and DLNA

Hi

I'm not sure this is the right place to talk about this.

I've been trying to write a Media Server, for a while.
Already did some code with felix, (https://github.com/longkerdandy/chii2).

I know OSGi has a UPnP standard and Felix has implement with CyberlinkJava.
But seems the project is not very active, even it shipped with a Media
Server sample, it won't work.

The fact is most devices/softwares are now compatible with DLNA.
And they somehow buggy may need different headers or respond.

OSGi hide all the UPnP stack, all I can get is a device interface.
I think the idea behind that is a full UPnP stack supports all the devices.
But this may not work in real world, especially the UPnP stack is not
actively maintained.

Projects like PS3 Media Sever and Serviio is build from scratch.
Now I'm trying Cling(http://teleal.org/projects/cling), another Java UPnP
stack.

My thought is,

DLNA is not as open as UPnP.
OSGi may also support DLNA, and let us have a real OpenSource Java DLNA
implementation.

For now, can we make a bridge between UPnP driver and real UPnP stack.
Thus make the UPnP stack switch-able.

Regards
LongkerDandy

Re: UPnP and DLNA

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 01/09/2011 11:26 AM, Stefano Lenzi wrote:
> Dear LongkerDandy,
>

> Regarding the DLNA topic I believe that we should have access to DLNA
> specification/guideline to provide a more comprehensive solution
>
> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 13:27, LongkerDandy<lo...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi
>>
> I think it would be reasonable to implement and abstract UPnP stack
> library which decouple the OSGi UPnP Base Driver from a particular
> UPnP stack implementation, but I think that we may have to thiank a
> bit on it, and moreover we may provide the bridge to the CyberLink
> UPnP stack but would be difficult to upkeep the code with other UPnP
> stack solution, unless you or Bruce would provide some help ;)
>
>> Is that possible that Felix maintains a UPnP/DLNA implement?
>> I mean, not just fetching CyberLink's code, but take control the whole life
>> cycle.
> Regarding taking control of CyberLink code it may be possible, but I
> don't know if we have to get an signed grant from Satoshi Konno and
> all the contributors of CyberLink source code even if the CyberLink
> lincense is a BSD style license. @Richard do you have any idea?

I think the grant is for when ASF is getting its own copyrighted
licensed version of some code donated to it. I am not sure what the
rules are with respect to forking some code with a BSD license...we'd
have to ask. ASF code is supposed to be Apache licensed, so it could be
an issue.

-> richard

Re: UPnP and DLNA

Posted by Stefano Lenzi <st...@isti.cnr.it>.
Dear LongkerDandy,

Re: UPnP and DLNA

Posted by LongkerDandy <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Re: UPnP and DLNA

Posted by Francesco Furfari <fr...@isti.cnr.it>.
Hi Jackson,

Re: UPnP and DLNA

Posted by "Jackson, Bruce" <br...@qualcomm.com>.

Re: UPnP and DLNA

Posted by LongkerDandy <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Re: UPnP and DLNA

Posted by "Jackson, Bruce" <br...@qualcomm.com>.
Using the current OSGi UPnP interface specification, it is quite possible
to develop a DLNA compliant media server, control point or renderer.
However, there are many issues in the current implementation using the
Cyberlink Java library has many issues which will prevent solutions based
on this implementation being compliant with the DLNA spec.

Re: UPnP and DLNA

Posted by Kai Hackbarth <k....@prosyst.com>.
Hi all,

Re: UPnP and DLNA