Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Misty Linville <mi...@apache.org> on 2019/04/11 16:12:47 UTC

[REPORT] HBase quarterly report Jan-Mar 2019

All,

HBase submits a report to the ASF board once a quarter, to inform the board
about project health. I'm sending the report to the user@ and dev@ mailing
lists because you are the project, and for transparency. If you have any
questions about the report or the running of the project, you can pose them
to me or any other PMC member or committer, or send an email to
private@hbase.apache.org, which every PMC member subscribes to.

Thanks,
Misty

Apache HBase is an open-source, distributed, versioned, non-relational
database. Apache HBase gives you low latency random access to billions of
rows with millions of columns atop non-specialized hardware.

hbase-thirdparty is a set of internal artifacts used by the project to
mitigate the impact of our dependency choices on the wider ecosystem.

## Issues:

Board-only information removed from public report.

## Activity:

Highlights:
- We have nearly all the infrastructure ready to complete the move to
Gitbox. (
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3496568d6cc002f74f5c3bcce46ed44b7ee9e90d7d53af2c65b6f785@%3Cdev.hbase.apache.org%3E
)
- An interesting discussion occurred about the frequency of releases in the
2.1.x line (
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/222aacbf74d9788287ef5606fe66a06c1a3aa31a299a469d124a5ee0@%3Cdev.hbase.apache.org%3E).
The discussion included a sub-discussion about what it will take to
separate the hbck took from the main project, and another sub-discussion
about time-based releases and release cadence in general. It's worth a read.
- A conversation is underway about getting the branch-2 line ready for the
"stable" pointer. (
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/81b2917eba3fce2872b96526635a5ba11535c73641cb3d38271ee353@%3Cdev.hbase.apache.org%3E
)
- We asked ourselves what our greatest friction point is when attracting
new contributors. We'd love for you to weigh in. (
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/887a253ccce44b51e4cfc57276545fcea123fa780a73ffc9fa279cd2@%3Cdev.hbase.apache.org%3E
)
- Sean Busbey, the release manager for 1.2, proposes that 1.2.12 (currently
a release candidate) be the last release in the 1.2 line. (
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3cf19458b739a612fbe1f72d17c14124ff536b0cb8678a63d80cf019@%3Cdev.hbase.apache.org%3E
)

Planning is underway for the next HBaseCon Asia! Contact Duo Zhang <
zhangduo@apache.org> to get involved.

The HBase project is working toward the goal of more frequent minor
releases and fewer unprompted maintenance releases. In total this quarter,
HBase had 7 releases over this quarter, across 3 release lines, and
hbase-thirdparty had 1 release.

Another goal, spanning several quarters, is to solicit more non-binding
votes on release candidates, as non-binding votes are one signal of broader
community engagement.
- HBase 2.1.3 RC1 had 40% non-binding votes (
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/baef78476204a476b45f7e273b006f19d057c6d9123d8a34178539a9@%3Cdev.hbase.apache.org%3E
)
- We voted on and failed several release candidates this quarter. We had
less participation from non-binding voters this quarter.
As a reminder, anyone on the dev@ list can test and provide feedback on a
release candidate, and cast a non-binding vote.

One new committer was added this quarter, and one committer joined the PMC.
More details below. Thanks to the new committers and PMC members for
agreeing to take on more responsibilities in the project.

## Health report:

We've bounced back from the holiday dip in activity. Specifically, we have
fixed a lot of JIRA issues this quarter!

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 45 PMC members.
 - Peter Somogyi was added to the PMC on Mon Jan 21 2019.

## Committer base changes:

 - Currently 79 committers.
 - Xu Cang was added as a committer on Fri Feb 01 2019

## Releases:

- 2.0.4 was released on Thu Jan 3 2019
- 2.1.2 was released on Tue Jan 8 2019
- 1.2.10 was released on Wed Jan 16 2019
- 2.1.3 was released on Wed Feb 13 2019
- 1.2.11 was released on Sun Feb 24 2019
- 2.0.5 was released on Sun Mar 24 2019
- 2.1.4 was released on Mon Mar 25 2019
- hbase-thirdparty 2.2.0 was released on Tue Apr 2, 2019

## Mailing list activity:

 - dev@hbase.apache.org:
    - 1051 subscribers (down -5 in the last 3 months):

 - user@hbase.apache.org:
    - 2236 subscribers (down -17 in the last 3 months):

## JIRA activity:

 - 494 JIRA tickets created in the last 3 months  (up from 405 last quarter)
 - 436 JIRA tickets closed/resolved in the last 3 months  (up from 332 last
quarter)