Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Helck, Christopher" <ch...@ebs.com> on 2004/10/08 16:12:14 UTC

How do I use maven day to day?

I'm looking for something that describes how to use maven with multiple
projects on a day to day basis. When should I install something, when
should I deploy it to the distribution repository (or whatever it is
called), and when should I use snapshots? I can imagine someone making
changes to some projects and checking the changes back into source
control without updating the maven repositories. Wouldn't this break the
build for everyone else?

I'm worried that most developers will just check things back into source
control without deploying the jars. Most people use Jbuilder or Eclipse
which magically build everything for them and they won't want to be
bothered with maven or ant.

Thanks,
C. Helck

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. This e-mail is intended only for the stated addressee.  If you are not an addressee, you must not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use or rely on the information contained in this e-mail. if you have received this e-mail in error, please inform us immediately and delete it and all copies from your system.

EBS Dealing Resources International Limited.  Registered address:  55-56 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London WC2A 3LJ, United Kingdom. Registered number 2633663.

EBS Dealing Resources, Inc, registered in Delaware. Address: 535 Madison Avenue, 24th Floor, New York, NY 10022, USA, and One upper Pond road, Building F - Floor 3, Parsippany, NJ 07054, USA.

EBS Dealing Resources Japan Limited, a Japanese Corporation. Address: Asteer Kayabacho Bldg, 6th Floor, 1-6-1, Shinkawa, Chuo-Ku,  Tokyo 104-0033, Japan.

RE: How do I use maven day to day?

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
One of the things that does really help w/ developers who use Jbuilder or
Eclipse is to provide a good reason why the Maven build must work.  I find
that as you integrate extra steps like xdoclet or database generation, tools
like Maven become more useful.  Also, if you have a continouse integration
tool like cruisecontrol doing your builds and running the unit tests, then
having a tool like Maven or Ant is crucial.

Eric

Posted by Michael Gaffney <mi...@gmail.com>.