Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de> on 2008/07/07 10:23:48 UTC

Empire-db release 2.0.2 ready for incubation

Before we (hopefully) enter the Apache Incubator we have completed pending development tasks on Empire-db and Empire-Struts2-Extentsions which are now available on SourceForge.net with release 2.0.2 (Empire-db) respectively release 1.0.2 (Empire-Struts2-Extentsions).

The most significant improvement is the provision of new classes for accessing non-relational data like e.g. from WebServices of flat files through Empire-db's data and metadata interfaces. This provides uniform client level access for JavaBean or other data objects and tabular data alike. The new classes can be found in the de.esteam.empire.data.bean package.

The tag and input control definitions of the Empire-Struts2-Extentions have been changed accordingly to work solely with the interfaces and a new class BeanActionSupport assists with form input handling.

Besides its flexible, high-performance relational database access features one of Empire-db's biggest advantages are its metadata management capabilities which can significantly reduce redundancies in the presentation and business layers as well as allow a much better separation of model and view. The Empire-Struts2-Extentions project gives a good example how this can be achieved.

We would like to encourage other developers to provide solutions for other presentation layer frameworks - for both web and rich-client applications. If anyone's interested please let us know and we're happy to give our support.

Further information can be found here:

Project homepage:	http://www.empire-db.org

ASF Proposal: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/Empire-dbProposal

SourceForge.net: http://sourceforge.net/projects/empire-db