Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2007/09/17 18:37:50 UTC

New Wicket Portlets Demo available

I'm really happy to announce that a new and quite feature complete Wicket Portlets Demo is now available for download at:

   http://people.apache.org/~ate/wicket/jetspeed-2.1.3-dev-wicket-demo-installer.jar

I've worked hard the last few weeks to improve the Wicket portlet support branch and it can now run all Wicket Examples natively as portlet!
See also IRA issue WICKET-658 at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-658#action_12528082 where I have provided more information how to install and use
this demo.

Although there probably are still some minor issues here and there, the demo will show that portlet development using Wicket is now very much feasible.

I'd like to invite anyone interested to try out the demo and see it in action for yourself, and of course please report any encountered issue/problems to the
dev list.

I've developed the portlet support based on the 1.3.0-beta3 release (with few minor bugfixes ported back from the trunk), so although the trunk development has
progressed at it usual aggressive speed, updating the portlet-support to the latest Wicket trunk shouldn't be too much work (that is: right now!).

As we would like to start using Wicket for a rewrite of the Jetspeed-2 administration portlets *now*, it would be great if the portlet support can be
incorporated into the trunk as soon as possible. Delaying this until after the 1.3.0 release would mean being out-of-sync with the main wicket trunk development
all the time and a lot of work each time we want/need to bring it back in sync.

Initially, back in May this year, my idea was waiting with merging the portlet support in the trunk to after the 1.3.0 release.
But as 1.3.0 still isn't released yet and still in beta phase, it would be much better to merge now otherwise the portlet-support will be constantly out-of-sync
with the main wicket trunk development, causing a lot of effort each time we want (or need) to bring it back in sync.

For Jetspeed-2, we would very much like to start using Wicket for a rewrite of the Jetspeed-2 administration portlet *now*. Having towait until after the 1.3.0
release, or be dependent on unofficial builds from the portlet-support branch would be less ideal to say the least.
Other parties, like my own company, already have started using the Wicket portlet-support branch, so having to delay the merge to trunk really wouldn't be fun.

AFAICS though, the impact of merging the portlet-support to trunk won't be big.
I had to make a few (internal) changes in the wicket core, but I don't think those will have functional side-effects.

To make it easier for the other committers to decide if we can merge the portlet-support to trunk now, I will create a new JIRA issue for it.
For the changes needed to the current Wicket trunk I'll create separate patches with explanations why and attach those to that issue.
(note: most of these changes I already described in detail under subtasks of the WICKET-647 issue).
We can then discuss these changes individually and if need be see if alternative solutions are possible.
After those changes are reviewed and accepted, the portlet support then can be merged to the trunk.

WDYT?

Regards,

Ate

Re: New Wicket Portlets Demo available

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
> But I will need support from all the Wicket committers for trying to maintain portlet compatibility as much as possible too!

As long as you tell us when we're breaking the rules, we'll be happy
to comply :)

Eelco

Re: New Wicket Portlets Demo available

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Eelco Hillenius wrote:
>> WDYT?
>
> Good news Ate! I'm +1 for putting it in trunk if you take on the
> responsibility of maintaining it properly.
Sure :)

I'm pretty much involved in several projects which would like to use the Wicket portlet support, and of course if we manage to rewrite our Jetspeed-2 admin
portlets in Wicket (for release 2.2) there will be a direct Apache connection too!
So, you can be assured of my continued involvement and interest in this, and even without concrete projects at hand.

But I will need support from all the Wicket committers for trying to maintain portlet compatibility as much as possible too!

There aren't that many specific rules to follow, but certain things simply aren't allowed like modifying an url after it is generated (like from client side
javascript). There are easy workaround/alternatives for that like using POST with hidden parameters instead of GET requests.

Once we have portlet support in the branch as an officially supported feature, everyone should take these restrictions in mind.
And of course, for very servlet specific features which make no sense in a portlet this won't apply.

I plan to create a JIRA issue for merging to trunk later this evening or tomorrow and then you can all see concrete examples of what I mean by this.

Many thanks for the positive responses so far already,

Regards,

Ate

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
im with eelco

-igor

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Weaver, Scott" <we...@ugs.com>.
This great news!  Thanks for all your hard work on this, Ate.

-scott

Posted by Dipu Seminlal <di...@googlemail.com>.
Thats good news, thanks very much.

Cheers
Dipu

Posted by "Weaver, Scott" <we...@ugs.com>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Re: Jetspeed isn't correctly using the encoding setting of the Servlets

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Hi,

On Sep 25, 2007, at 9:14 AM, Andrew F Hall wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to know if anyone has any feedback on some of my outstanding
> issues.  Specifically:
>
> 1.  getCapabilites and getAgent are returning null from within a
> portlet.  Is this expected behavior is there an issue here?

I am not sure how you are implementing this from a portlet.
I am looking at 2.1.3, and unfortunately we don't expose the
Capability service to portlets
So I assume you are getting the CapabilityMap via the RequestContext,
correct?

> 2.  Is version 2.0.1 considered stable?  Is this something I can apply
> without extensive testing?  Also, is my code patch sensible and
> necessary?  Does the code patch need to be applied to 2.1 as well?

I really recommend moving to 2.1.2, or 2.1.3.
Im looking at the 2.1.3 trunk, and it still has the same code:

             if (decode)
             {
                 for (int i = 0; i < paramValues.length; i++)
                 {
                     try
                     {
                         paramValues[i] = new String(paramValues
[i].getBytes("ISO-8859-1"), encoding);
                     }
                     catch (UnsupportedEncodingException e)
                     {
                         ;
                     }
                 }
             }

I think your patch looks good, but could you post your patch to the
dev list and see if anyone objects

RE: Jetspeed isn't correctly using the encoding setting of the Servlets

Posted by Andrew F Hall <af...@circleup.com>.
Hi,

I wanted to know if anyone has any feedback on some of my outstanding
issues.  Specifically:

1.  getCapabilites and getAgent are returning null from within a
portlet.  Is this expected behavior is there an issue here?
2.  Is version 2.0.1 considered stable?  Is this something I can apply
without extensive testing?  Also, is my code patch sensible and
necessary?  Does the code patch need to be applied to 2.1 as well?

Thanks again.

- Andrew Hall

Posted by "Weaver, Scott" <we...@ugs.com>.
Ok, seems to work fine in the installer version of Jetspeed.  I must be
missing something else in my pipeline.

-scott

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Scott,

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Re: findParent(BasePage.class) returns null

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
That is because you replace a parent in the hierarchy of the component
you ask the page for.

Eelco

Posted by Maris Orbidans <sm...@ime.lv>.
Please ignore.    I have figured it out myself.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Gwyn Evans <gw...@gmail.com>.
On Thursday, September 20, 2007, 10:50:30 AM, Ate <at...@douma.nu> wrote:

> I've proposed to merge this into trunk now (before -beta4 release),
> but this hasn't been decided or voted upon yet.

Well, you can now vote on it, at least! :-)

/Gwyn

Re: New Wicket Portlets Demo available

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Dipu Seminlal wrote:
> Hi Ate,
>
> I'm interested in the portlet support which you have implemented in wicket.
Cool!

> Any idea when it might be merged into the trunk?
It is under discussion right now on the dev list.
I've proposed to merge this into trunk now (before -beta4 release), but this hasn't been decided or voted upon yet.
I do hope we can wrap this up quickly though.

The discussion is somewhat split up over two different threads which you can view in context using nabble:

[1] http://www.nabble.com/Please-review-WICKET-983%3A-Merge-the-portlet-support-branch-into-the-trunk-tf4470851.html
[2] http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A--jira--Resolved%3A-%28WICKET-647%29-New-Wicket-Portlet-support-tf4467600.html

Feel free to join those and let us know your opinion too :)

Regards,

Ate

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Gwyn Evans wrote:
> Probably fairly soon - we've been looking at the changes and
> discussing it on the dev list, to try & get an idea if it'll cause a
> significant delay with regards to the aim of getting a 1.3 release out
> ASAP.  Currently, however, I think the view is that it'll be likely to
> be in and we'll do a beta4, then see how it looks.
>
> I think I saw some comment about some rebuilding work of Ate's house -
> I don't know any more than that, but if he's quiet for a bit, that
> might explain it!
Although that is going to take some of my time away the next 3 months, I still be online/able to answer questions normally on a daily basis :)

> In the meantime, you could get the baseline code from SVN
> (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/wicket/tags/wicket-1.3.0-beta3),
> apply the patch from the jira issue
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12366048/wicket-1.3.0-beta3-portlet-support.patch
> and build your own copy if you want to have a look prior to that.
> (Build with tests disabled "mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true install" as the
> patch missed changing a particular test expectation)
I've just committed a fix for that test case.

Sorry I missed it out but then it didn't fail on me on my own machine (weird!).

Ate

Posted by Dipu Seminlal <di...@googlemail.com>.
Thanks Gwyn

Regards
Dipu

Posted by Gwyn Evans <gw...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>> wouldn't be fun.
>>
>> AFAICS though, the impact of merging the portlet-support to trunk won't be
>> big.
>> I had to make a few (internal) changes in the wicket core, but I don't
>> think those will have functional side-effects.
>>
>> To make it easier for the other committers to decide if we can merge the
>> portlet-support to trunk now, I will create a new JIRA issue for it.
>> For the changes needed to the current Wicket trunk I'll create separate
>> patches with explanations why and attach those to that issue.
>> (note: most of these changes I already described in detail under subtasks
>> of the WICKET-647 issue).
>> We can then discuss these changes individually and if need be see if
>> alternative solutions are possible.
>> After those changes are reviewed and accepted, the portlet support then

/Gwyn

Re: New Wicket Portlets Demo available

Posted by Dipu Seminlal <di...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Ate,