Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Shane Petroff <sh...@mayet.ca> on 2007/05/15 22:00:51 UTC

broken navigation

Hello all,

I have somehow broken my application and can't figure out what I've done
to cause it. Every h:commandLink in my app is currently broken and not
only do I not know why, but I've spent several days working in an area
of the application which is accessible by navigating via a
h:commandButton, so I don't even know when I broke things. CommandLinks
now generate javascript errors either trying to reference a non-existent
component or a non-existent function. Some of the now broken pages have
been unchanged for weeks, others completely reworked. Since navigation
via button works, I can confirm that managed beans are being created and
called, but I can't figure out why the javascript used for commandLinks
gets hosed. Anyone else seen something like this?

--
Shane

Re: broken navigation

Posted by Shane Petroff <sh...@mayet.ca>.
Sorin Silaghi wrote:
> I am using the the 1.1.6 sandbox but I don't have your problem ...

Presumably dozens if not hundreds of other people are too; it doesn't
make a lot of sense to me, I must be missing something. How could simply
having the sandbox jar be accessible to tomcat affect code which does
not attempt to use anything in the sandbox? (once again, the sequence
is: take a functioning app, stop tomcat, drop the sandbox jar in
web-inf/lib, restart tomcat, and commandLinks all fail because some
portion of javascript is never generated. This is tomcat 5.5.20,
tomahawk 1.1.5 and sandbox 1.1.6 snapshot)

> have you tried a simple page with just one command link on it and see
> if that works ...

The page I am talking about has an outputText, 4 buttons and a link. It
couldn't get much simpler, and nothing from the sandbox at all. (Various
other pages are also broken, but they are much more complex, so it seems
prudent to try to get the simplest case working first) For the sheer
hell of it, I tried commenting out everything in the jsp except the
link, form and the panel which the link sits in, and it still failed.

>  are command buttons also affected or just command links ? if not,
> have you tried replacing a command link with a command button ?

Buttons seem to work fine although I cannot drill too far into the app
to test very many other buttons, because the majority of the site is
accessible via links. I tried swapping out the link for a button and it
worked fine, but when switched back to a link, it would no longer work.
The generated html is missing some javascript. It is not even consistent
which javascript is missing:

clear__5FidJsp0 is not defined.    on one page
document.forms._idJsp3.elements['_idJsp3:_link_hidden_'] has no
properties    on another

I tried deploying to another machine to see if it was something related
to my system, but the resulting war had the same problem (I don't recall
which version of tomcat my friend was running when he tested it for me).

In the short term I'm just ditching the sandbox functionality; I have to
get some other stuff done. Longer term, I guess I will have to strip
everything out of this app to create a small test case. Thanks for
listening.

--
Shane

--
Shane

Re: broken navigation

Posted by Sorin Silaghi <so...@gmail.com>.
I am using the the 1.1.6 sandbox but I don't have your problem ... have you
tried a simple page with just one command link on it and see if that works
... do you use any components from the sandbox on all those pages ? are

Re: broken navigation

Posted by Shane Petroff <sh...@mayet.ca>.

--
Shane