Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz <gr...@titanium.sabren.com> on 2004/10/12 08:12:52 UTC

[BOOK] How to translate images?

I have found the following posts for reference:

 http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgId=232893
 http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=34660

Didn't find more recent discussion regarding images in the book. The
problem is that the images need to be translated. Most of them
would be OK in English, but others like ch02dia2.png contain vital
information which would be awkward and poor style to translate as
a side note near the image.

Using powerpoint as the second post says is clearly not a
very friendly solution in order to generate images in different
languages. But since O'Reilly might have something to do with it,
maybe they have their own way of translating such images?

Re: [BOOK] How to translate images?

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
> Well, the original images certainly are.  Most of them are Powerpoint;
> you can find them if you look back in the history of doc/book/book far
> enough.  O'Reilly then redrew the images, and "gave" them back to us
> for the website.  The question is, who owns the newer, prettier
> images? O'Reilly?  And what's the license on them?  We probably need
> some clarification from O'Reilly.

They based them on GPL'd images, right?

That doesn't definitively make the new images automatically GPL'd, but
it does point to an obvious path of least resistance... :-)

-K

Re: [BOOK] How to translate images?

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
On Oct 25, 2004, at 11:19 AM, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2004, at 5:52 AM, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
>
>> Well, at least I would like to know what is the copyright status
>> of the images. Is it also under the creative commons license?
>>

> Well, the original images certainly are.  Most of them are Powerpoint;
>  you can find them if you look back in the history of doc/book/book
> far enough.  O'Reilly then redrew the images, and "gave" them back to
> us for the website.  The question is, who owns the newer, prettier
> images?  O'Reilly?  And what's the license on them?  We probably need
> some clarification from O'Reilly.
>
> Regardless, we don't have the source for the "pretty" images, so it's
> probably a moot point.  If you want to translate them, you'll probably
> have to use the original powerpoint source anyway.

The images are under the same copyright as the book.  Our editor
confirmed this for us when O'Reilly re-did the images.

-Fitz

Re: [BOOK] How to translate images?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz <gr...@titanium.sabren.com>.