Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ra...@external.mckinsey.com on 2006/03/08 14:00:59 UTC

Hello

Hi,

I was going thru the Subversion book 1.2

Under chapter two :
At the moment, this working directory corresponds exactly to revision 4 in
the repository. However, suppose you make a change to button.c, and commit
that change. Assuming no other commits have taken place, your commit will
create revision 5 of the repository, and your working copy will now look
like this:
calc/Makefile:4
     integer.c:4
     button.c:5
I believe its should be "5" for  Makefile: & integer.c: also.
Plz comment.
-Rahul Sinha
+=========================================================+
information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.
+=========================================================+

Re: Hello

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 3/8/2006 9:00 AM, Rahul_Sinha@external.mckinsey.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was going thru the Subversion book 1.2
>
> Under chapter two :
> At the moment, this working directory corresponds exactly to revision 4 in
> the repository. However, suppose you make a change to button.c, and commit
> that change. Assuming no other commits have taken place, your commit will
> create revision 5 of the repository, and your working copy will now look
> like this:
> calc/Makefile:4
>      integer.c:4
>      button.c:5
> I believe its should be "5" for  Makefile: & integer.c: also.
> Plz comment.

The book is right.  svn won't update those other files unless you ask it
to do so.

In this particular example it's not all that important, since rev 4 and
5 of those files are identical, but if you use svnversion to find out
the current version of your working copy, you'll see that you have a
mixed revision.

Where it becomes important is if someone else modifies and commits (e.g.
committing changes to Makefile) creating rev 6, then you modify and
commit button.c again.  You'll now have rev 7 of button.c and still have
rev 4 of the rest, which may no longer be identical to the HEAD revision.

This is why it's a good practice to update frequently.  Then all your
files are in a consistent state.

Duncan Murdoch

RE: Hello

Posted by Madan U S <ma...@collab.net>.

HTH.

Regards,
Madan.

Re: Hello

Posted by Miha Vitorovic <mv...@nil.si>.
Rahul_Sinha@external.mckinsey.com wrote on 08.03.2006 15:00:59:

> I was going thru the Subversion book 1.2

> I believe its should be "5" for  Makefile: & integer.c: also.

It depends on what you commit. Commiting "button.c" only, creates a mixed
revision working copy - it's how Subversion works.

BR,
---
  Miha Vitorovic
  Inženir v tehničnem področju
  Customer Support Engineer

   NIL Data Communications,  Tivolska cesta 48,  1000 Ljubljana,  Slovenia
   Phone +386 1 4746 500      Fax +386 1 4746 501     http://www.NIL.si