Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by vrinda ullas <vr...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/25 05:44:45 UTC

SerialPort &TOMCAT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: vrinda ullas <vr...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 08:52:58 +0530
Subject: commapi using TOMCAT
To: kartik.vad@gmail.com, hall@coreservlets.com, brown@coreservlets.com

I want to communicate with a microcontroller connected to the serial
port of my computer.
*I am using the following:
Windows 98 operating system
Tomcat web server 4.1

*The directory structure is as given:
Tomcat 4.1/webapps/myjsp/web-inf/classes/remoteservlets.
I have placed my jsp files in my jsp folder and classfiles in remote
servlets folder.

**my java program has compiled correctly.**
** my simple java application which accesses the serial port works fine.***
*when I start tomcat I am able to access the sevlet as the servlet
responds with the button name i have pressed.

**** I have also tried the following
Copied file comm.jar in <JAVA_HOME>\jre\lib\ext
Copied file javax.comm.properties in <JAVA_HOME>\jre\lib
Copied file win32com.dll in <JAVA_HOME>\lib and also in
c:\windows\system32 and c:\windows\system

Re: SerialPort &TOMCAT

Posted by "Rajeev N. Jha" <jh...@gmail.com>.
I am also using java comm API version 2 and i can display all the port
names and types through a servlet. so no magic here. Maybe you should
use a simple program like this to test your environment first ?

Plus one more point , i have copied comm api files (dll , properties
file and comm jar file ) under my JDK/JRE as well as my system JRE.

Hope this helps.

Rajeev.

Re: SerialPort &TOMCAT

Posted by Wade Chandler <hw...@yahoo.com>.
--- vrinda ullas <vr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi rajjev,
> i am using communication api version 2.
> i am trying to control a relay through serial port.I
> first built ajava
> application to do the same. It works fine.But on
> trying to convet the
> same into a web based application i don,t get any
> results.

Have either of you two debugged you applications and
stepped over the lines accessing the serial port?
Does it throw an Exception of any kind, hang, or just
fall on through?  Another question might be are the
comm APIs open source like the rest of the java APIs?
If so then you could take the source of those packages
and debug through those as well.  This should help you
track down where the error is faster.

Wade

Re: SerialPort &TOMCAT

Re: SerialPort &TOMCAT

Posted by "Rajeev N. Jha" <jh...@gmail.com>.
what version of java COMM  are you using ?
Plus it would help to know why you are accessing a serial port through
tomcat server ?