Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Ismael Touama <is...@install.fr> on 2002/05/07 11:54:11 UTC

Where's & which's my httpd ?

Hi overthere!

Yesterday i succeed, *not in a clear understand*,
to compile mod_perl and apache_1.3.24.
httpd -l gave me the rights modules.

I erase my binary rmps based installation of apache_1.3.20.
(rpm -qe apache)

But today I can't find it!
I've got severals httpd daemon and I can't use anyone !
I've got this:
# find / -name httpd
/home/httpd
/usr/share/doc/qt-devel-2.3.1/examples/httpd   # whiwh is this one !!?
/usr/local/apache/bin/htpd   # the previous apcahe (rpm based)
/usr/local/mod_perl-1.26/t/httpd	# from my mod_perl, didn't try it
/usr/local/apache_1.3.24/src/httpd  # my new fresh, compiled apache
/var/log/httpd
/etc/httpd

and 3 others files backed up.

Must i re-issue the manipulations ?

Thx,
bbsc,
ism

Re: Where's & which's my httpd ?

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
> $ I have really misunderstoods with the way the variable
> $ environment is implmented or just use by the system ($PATH).
> $ Yesterday, just after install (_few_severals_attempts_after)
> $ httpd and apachectl worked fine after a fresh compile
> $ and then after a reboot too in my /usr/local/apache/bin.
> $ The way I understand the stuff is that the compile alters
> $ programs located in the initial apache directory.
> $ IS THAT QUITE WRITE ?
> $ What kind of process could disabled the use of its ?!!
> $ Ok I find one interessant thing. It doesn't work when
> $ we situe ourself in the current directory...so

If you haven't already, I would recommend getting a book on unix
since the kinds of things that we are discussing are specific
to that platform and have little to do with running Apache::ASP.
The Apache::ASP mailing list is for support of running Apache::ASP,
but this assumes that you already know how to work with the
platform that you are on.

Once a program is correctly installed in a place like /usr/local/apache,
I cannot imagine what mechanism would prevent it from working later
if it worked before.  Subtle things like which user ( root or non-root )
you are running as can make a big difference though, as well
as whether there is an instance of httpd already running, bound
to port 80.

> $ ...so, in fact no...
> $ "." is in the directory [_is_that_different_that_*path*_?]

. represents the current working directory, so if you
cd /usr/local/apache/bin, then . = /usr/local/apache/bin
and if you run "./httpd" you will really be running
/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd

> $ It reaveals another problem to my head...
> $ Static build and non-static-build (DSO)...
> $ Yes i guess it was the static way no "USE_DSO=1"

Right, static build is no "USE_DSO=1"

--Josh

RE: Where's & which's my httpd ?

Posted by Ismael Touama <is...@install.fr>.
Hi Josh and thanks...
Ok, my mod_perl is yet installed, control done
via telnet command line...
Let's above what's wrong now.
Ismael Touama wrote:

> Hi & thx,
>
> I don't understand, I ran "make install"
> 'which' gave me 'no httpd' althought I ran 'httpd -l'.
> What was goin' worng, goin' on ?
>
> bbsc,
> ism

"which httpd" will only pick up httpd in your path.
If you install apache in /usr/local/apache, then
it will likely not be in your PATH though may work fine.

$ I have really misunderstoods with the way the variable
$ environment is implmented or just use by the system ($PATH).
$ Yesterday, just after install (_few_severals_attempts_after)
$ httpd and apachectl worked fine after a fresh compile
$ and then after a reboot too in my /usr/local/apache/bin.
$ The way I understand the stuff is that the compile alters
$ programs located in the initial apache directory.
$ IS THAT QUITE WRITE ?
$ What kind of process could disabled the use of its ?!!
$ Ok I find one interessant thing. It doesn't work when
$ we situe ourself in the current directory...so

If you are in the directory that the httpd resides
in after building it, and if "." is in your path, then you
will be able to run

 prompt> httpd -l

$ ...so, in fact no...
$ "." is in the directory [_is_that_different_that_*path*_?]

While doing the "make install" for apache, watch where
its installing into.  Likely it went to /usr/local/apache
if you were doing a static build,

$ It reaveals another problem to my head...
$ Static build and non-static-build (DSO)...
$ Yes i guess it was the static way no "USE_DSO=1"

so then you would be
able to do

  /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -l

$ Yes but not from the current directory...strange isn't it ?
$ Great thx,
$ bbsc,
$ ism

--Josh