Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Srikrishan Malik <ma...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/24 12:03:35 UTC

region with total-max-memory

While creating a region in geode you can specify --total-max-memory
which should limit the amount of memory used the the region entries.
ref: https://geode.apache.org/docs/guide/tools_modules/gfsh/command-pages/create.html#topic_54B0985FEC5241CA9D26B0CE0A5EA863

I created a region of type PARTITION_OVERFLOW with total-max-memory
set, I can see that this attribute is there in the the partition
attributes for the region on server, but when the amount of data
crossed the total-max-memory limit it did not start overflowing old
entries to disk, after some time(memory usage is almost 10x greater
than total-max-memory) the heap lru(which is based on total jvm head)
kicks in and starts evicting entries.

Is there any additional setting which has to be done to trigger
eviction when total-max-memory limit is reached for a region.

-Sri

Re: region with total-max-memory

Posted by Darrel Schneider <ds...@pivotal.io>.
For heap lru you want to set eviction-heap-percentage which you can do when
you start the server. You should also set the initial and max heap sizes.
Read about this here:
https://geode.apache.org/docs/guide/11/managing/heap_use/heap_management.html#configuring_resource_manager_controlling_heap_use

As for "total-max-memory", I just looked over the source code and could not
find any code that does anything interesting with it. All I found was a
bunch of code that validates it but never uses it for anything. I'm going
to file a ticket that this region attribute should be removed.
Hope this helps!