Posted to users@apex.apache.org by Yogi Devendra <yo...@apache.org> on 2016/07/25 16:41:59 UTC

Sub Partitioning the parallel partitions

Hi,

I have a DAG A->B->C.

1. A is kafka input operator reading from 4 different topics configured
with ONE_TO_ONE strategy. Thus creating 4 partitons of A.
2. B and C are configured to have parallel partitions w.r.t. their input
port. Thus, currently both B, C have 4 partitions.

I am observing B significant latency in B operator. Thus, would like to
have 2 partitions for B per partition of A. Since, application is latency
intensive, I want to avoid unifiers as far as possible.

How to achieve this partitioning?

~ Yogi

Re: Sub Partitioning the parallel partitions

Posted by Bhupesh Chawda <bh...@apache.org>.
Since the partitions of the Kafka input operator are based on (topic,
partition) combination, can we increase the number of Kafka partitions per
topic?

~ Bhupesh

Posted by Munagala Ramanath <ra...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Sandesh Hegde <sa...@datatorrent.com>.
@Yogi,

If you are up for the small experiment and share some latency number with
us, It will help improve the unifiers.

1. Avoid M*1 unifiers
2. Use the mentioned PR to launch your application with the unifiers,
https://github.com/apache/apex-core/pull/358/

Posted by Ashwin Chandra Putta <as...@gmail.com>.
Yogi,

wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a DAG A->B->C.
>
> 1. A is kafka input operator reading from 4 different topics configured
> with ONE_TO_ONE strategy. Thus creating 4 partitons of A.
> 2. B and C are configured to have parallel partitions w.r.t. their input
> port. Thus, currently both B, C have 4 partitions.
>
> I am observing B significant latency in B operator. Thus, would like to
> have 2 partitions for B per partition of A. Since, application is latency
> intensive, I want to avoid unifiers as far as possible.
>
> How to achieve this partitioning?
>

> ~ Yogi

Ashwin.