Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1998/03/28 07:29:16 UTC

wanted: list of package sytems

FreeBSD ports.
RPMs.

Anyone have any other examples?  I'm looking for something to avoid
reinventing the wheel, but that is more portable.  FreeBSD ports rely
strongly on BSD make while RPMs don't really do things the way I want to
and I was scared by the source the last time I looked at it.

Re: wanted: list of package sytems

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
On Fri, Mar 27, 1998 at 11:29:16PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> FreeBSD ports.
> RPMs.
>
> Anyone have any other examples?

- dpkg (Debian GNU/Linux). Haven't played with them much, but they
  seem more like BSD ports than RPMs

- slp. Stampede is another distribution in development for Linux.
  http://www.stampede.org/. Seems pretty cool.

"Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from a Perl
script." -- _Programming Perl_, 2nd ed.

Re: wanted: list of package sytems

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@jrc.it>.
On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> FreeBSD ports.
> RPMs.
>
> Anyone have any other examples?  I'm looking for something to avoid
> reinventing the wheel, but that is more portable.  FreeBSD ports rely
> strongly on BSD make while RPMs don't really do things the way I want to
> and I was scared by the source the last time I looked at it.

Actually I found it not that hard to adapt the ports mechanism to IRIX and
Solaris; but it does require some extra binaries which are 'standardish'
on BSD; such as the http/ftp fetchers. The latter was a beast to port :-)

DW.