Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Paul McFerrin <pm...@columbus.rr.com> on 2010/01/30 21:41:05 UTC

[users@httpd] Something's fishy going on: dead server & no log messages

I have an interesting problem.  First, my Cygwin binary distribution of
Apache 1.3.22, ater 5 years has STOPPED RESPONDING.  No errors to log
and No Web Service.

This all started by my computer get infecting by 2 Trojan Horses
viruses.  The OS disk partition was copied and a virus scanner was
executed on the copy to clean it out.  A decision was made to avoid a
lot of wait time by letting my son download from MS a copy of Windows XP
Pro,that included all changes up to SP3.  Using this MS download CD,
most everything was restored to service with the exception of Apache.
It acts like it has not ever been started except for the normal
error_log messages present with start/stop.

QUESTION:
I know this is going to be a strange request:  Has anyone had a
experience with the OS download possibly blocking port 80.  The OS
download was a special subscription service from MS.  Since I have my
own hardware firewall, the Windows Firewall is turned off as well as
ICS.  My son, the MS experience, is quite suspicious of Apache and/or
Cygwin but is offering little help at this time.  In fact he wanted me
to briefly upgrade to MS IIS!!! (no way)
I'm running on Cygwin 1.7 and Apache  has worked flawlessly for about 5
years as well as Apache 1.3 22.  I firmly believe: If it's working,
don't touch it.
Well I touched it.  I upgraded to Apache 1.3.41 binary distribution.
The results EXACTLY the same: dead to.

Re: [users@httpd] Something's fishy going on: dead server & no log messages

Posted by Paul McFerrin <pm...@columbus.rr.com>.
Good points.  Why did I not think of this.  First, I have always started
it in the foreground and never as a real service.
As for event viewer most are errors that I have caused with MSI.  Here
is one error for HTTP:
     HTTP namespace reservations are not installed.

No help is available and I certainly don't know what that means....
More messages:
HttpHandlers node *.svc does not exist in System.Web section group.
HttpModules node ServiceModel does not exist in System.Web section group.

All of the above messages are WARNINGS.  Do any have any effects on me.

Other messages:
All compilation assembly nodes do not exist in System.Web section group.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] Something's fishy going on: dead server & no log messages

Posted by Paul McFerrin <pm...@columbus.rr.com>.
Well I think I need to contact RoadRunner.  It looks like they are
blocking port 80.  From another PC connected to the same router, I can
access my webpage usinging my locally assigned IP address in a browser
window.  Does it sound like this assumption is correct?

My web site is for my family genealogy information.  Why should I pay
more money when I'm truly not a business customer?

Posted by Jim Walls <ji...@k6ccc.org>.
Paul McFerrin wrote:
> John Hudak wrote:
>> Some things that come to mind:
>> 1. Is your router properly configured for port forwarding?
>> 2. is the service you are using to do host redirection properly
>> configured?
>
> I already found the problem.  I used my son to do the initial load of
> the OS and knew nothing of how the router was setup.  Port forwarding
> only works correctly on static IP addressing.  He had chosen DHCP, not
> fully understanding the needs.  Just a communications error.

Yep, that would do it!  Glad you found it pretty quickly...

--
73

Re: [users@httpd] Something's fishy going on: dead server & no log messages

Posted by Paul McFerrin <pm...@columbus.rr.com>.