Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Eduardo Andrés Alfonso Sierra <ed...@lycos.co.uk> on 2003/01/16 04:02:52 UTC

how do you work??

Hi

I'm an undergraduate student of Computer Science and I'm interested in how a
group of developers that are geographically separated works.  You are
exactly that kind of group. I wanna know what specific tools do you use, or
what kind of tools do you use to use, to develop the software.

Can you help me??  or where can I write to get help with this ??

Thanks!!!

Re: PMC members, can u help me??

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Eduardo Andrés Alfonso Sierra wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I wrote this message a few days ago...
>

>>>Hi
>>>I'm an undergraduate student of Computer Science and I'm interested in
>>
> how a
>
>>>group of developers that are geographically separated works.  You are
>>>exactly that kind of group. I wanna know what specific tools do you use,
>>
> or
>
>>>what kind of tools do you use to use, to develop the software. Can you
>>
> help me??  or where
>
>>>can I write to get help with this ??
>>>Thanks!!!
>>

> I've been reading the "how to get involved" jakarta page and I red about the
> Project Management Committee (PMC) and its monthly meetings.  The tools that
> PMC use to accomplish their meetings are which I'm interested in.  I want to
> know what tools do you use to organize yourself, to discuss the project
> direction or design issues and to take decisions about it. Well then, I'm
> interested in those kind of tools that can help you get your work organized.
>
> At the jakarta page reads "These meetings may take place online, via
> teleconference, or via other means deemed effective by the PMC", I'm
> interested in those other means.
>
> So, I would be very very thankful if any PMC member or anyone who knows how
> PMC works, could help me.

I'm not in the PMC, but I have been involved in a project, and actively
tracking other ones (by reading the lists, speaking with people, etc.)

If you are looking forthe "holy grial", I would say:

WRT "decission taking" the key is the "meta-law" that says that
decissions should be taken that keep the process mostly reversible (I
mean, try to take small, incremental, practical decissions).

As the aim here is usually not to maximize resources, but to ensure that
the process evolves in a general good direction, decisions that "prune"
the search tree are generally much more dangerous than decissions that
"fork" a new branch. This has to be balanced with the amount of
resources that can be gathered (selt-appointed) to do any given task,
and with the confusion that arises when (as an example) you have three
different connector code bases to connect Apache with Tomcat.

WRT to coordination (a  heavy issue in hierarchical organizations) the
"meta-law" is to work in the open and document everything. Coordination
failures do happen every day, but, paraphrasing Linus Torvalds, with a
big nuber of eyeballs, knowledge will eventually consolidate.

If you have ever seen an ant hill working, you will understand what I
speak about. Every ant is possibly confused and doubtfull at times, but
the anthill as a whole succeeds.

Hope this helps, and does not bring more confusion ;-)

Regards,
      Santiago

Re: PMC members, can u help me??

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
We've been getting an unusual number of student requests coming in
lately (which seems to come and go at various times of year).  What
always suprises me is the bulk of the questions are pretty clearly
documented on the web page...  And whats funny "what tools do you use"
send to various mailing lists...well This is the tool..  thats it..

However, for the students who need a bit more..  Perhaps you could do
your assingments more or less the ApacheWay starting on the wiki:
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?TheStudentResearchPage

Research your stuff, fill out the pages.  Maybe at some point a mail
list could be started for you to work together.

-Andy

PMC members, can u help me??

Posted by Eduardo Andrés Alfonso Sierra <ed...@lycos.co.uk>.
Hi again,

Re: how do you work??

Posted by Robert Simmons <de...@arcor.de>.
Well, there are lots of ways that this happens. However, the most key pieces
are two information systems that we use. One is called CVS. It allows us to
all use the internet to check in code and get the latest updates. If two
guys are working on the same file at once, CVS will merge their changes and
report any conflicts for the developer to resolve. The other system,
Bugzilla, allows us to track defects in a project and manage these defects
via a web page. Users of the systems can submit a bug, the developer
resolves an updates a bug and then finally the user sees that the bug is
fixed.

There is allot of other tools we use but these are the most important and
should provide you a good place to start.

-- Derisor

Re: how do you work??

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2003/1/15 7:02 PM, "Eduardo Andrés Alfonso Sierra" <ed...@lycos.co.uk>
wrote:

> I wanna know what specific tools do you use, or
> what kind of tools do you use to use, to develop the software.

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/getinvolved.html

-jon

--
StudioZ.tv /\ Bar/Nightclub/Entertainment
314 11th Street @ Folsom /\ San Francisco