Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dirk Schenkewitz <sc...@docomolab-euro.com> on 2005/09/07 09:41:40 UTC

"411 Length Required" !?

Hi all,

we just tried to get access to our subversion server from sub-network (LAN1) within the company. The access from LAN1 to the outside is "buffered" with a proxy and it is protected by a firewall.
The SVN server is in DMZ (so to say) and is protected by a different firewall.

Now, when I am connected to LAN1, I can access the SVN server and checkout a repository named CATS, after I added the following to ~nobody/.subversion/servers:
----------------------
[groups]
allgroups = *

[allgroups]
http-proxy-host = xxx.yyy.zzz.186
# xxx.yyy.zzz are numbers, I just don't want to state them here in the open ;)
http-proxy-port = 8080
----------------------

nobody@CPC136:~> svn co http://xxx.yyy.zzz.180/CATS CATS.4
A    CATS.4/tmp
A    CATS.4/README
Checked out revision 2.

-----------------------
Fine so far. Now I add a file within tmp, followed by svn add and commit:
-----------------------

nobody@CPC136:~> cd CATS.4
nobody@CPC136:~/CATS.4> ls > tmp/test
nobody@CPC136:~/CATS.4> svn add tmp/test
A         tmp/test
nobody@CPC136:~/CATS.4> svn commit -m "test"
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: MKACTIVITY of '/CATS/!svn/act/a4fed7f0-2a00-0410-a1b1-b9551a3c9a02': 411 Length Required (http://212.119.9.180)
nobody@CPC136:~/CATS.4>
------------------------
:( !
Same problem from windows with tortoise svn.
Meanwhile I found that "411 Length Required" is a message from the apache - if I understand that correctly, apache wants to know the length of some date that is sent by the client before it will accept the data (I'm aware that this assumption can be completely wrong).

When I connect my PC to another network, LAN2, that is protected by a 3rd firewall but has no proxy, comment out the the abovementioned lines in ~nobody/.subversion/servers an do the same again, it works:
------------------------
nobody@CPC136:~> svn co http://xxx.yyy.zzz.180/CATS CATS.5
A    CATS.5/tmp
A    CATS.5/README
Checked out revision 2.
nobody@CPC136:~> cd CATS.5
nobody@CPC136:~/CATS.5> ls > tmp/test
nobody@CPC136:~/CATS.5> svn add tmp/test
A         tmp/test
nobody@CPC136:~/CATS.5> svn commit -m "test"
Adding         tmp/test
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 3.
nobody@CPC136:~/CATS.5>
Apache wrote (after a restart) into the error.log: "[Notice] Apache/2.0.53 (Linux/SUSE) configured -- resuming normal operation"
svn --version on the server says: "svn, version 1.2.0 (r14790)"

Can anybody give me a hint what to do about that problem or what is going on?
*ANY*/*EVERY* hint is welcome!

TIA
   Dirk