Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2017/10/09 23:00:36 UTC

4.5.0? (Was: Re: AOO 4.2.0 and macOS)

I was wondering... what do people think about going from 4.1.x all the
way straight to 4.5.0...

Since this next "major" release is pretty major, maybe a
bigger step in number might be justified. Especially if
we drop some older supported platforms.

Re: 4.5.0? (Was: Re: AOO 4.2.0 and macOS)

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

It is worth letting the idea “percolate” while 4.1.4 release proceeds to completion.

I like Jm’s thought. Announcing plans while announcing a release and then executing on it would be the the best AOO marketing possible. We proceed with whoever helps methodically.

My 2cts.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

On 10/10/2017 11:49 AM, Marcus wrote:
> Am 10.10.2017 um 01:15 schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>> I was wondering... what do people think about going from 4.1.x all the
>>> way straight to 4.5.0...
>>> Since this next "major" release is pretty major, maybe a
>>> bigger step in number might be justified. Especially if
>>> we drop some older supported platforms.
>>
>> We should focus on 4.1.4 until the release process is complete. And
>> then we should start a proper discussion (that I'll be very happy to
>> participate in, since my list of pending, realistic, proposals is
>> getting longer and longer!) about the next release.
>
> strong +1
>
> To be honest, we have enough to do to get our 4.1.x release out.
> Therefore I doubt we should invest a single minute into the version
> numbering for the next but one release as it is not yet relevant.
>
> my 2 ct.
>
> Marcus

+1

Re: 4.5.0? (Was: Re: AOO 4.2.0 and macOS)

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I was wondering... what do people think about going from 4.1.x all the
> way straight to 4.5.0...
> Since this next "major" release is pretty major, maybe a
> bigger step in number might be justified. Especially if
> we drop some older supported platforms.

We should focus on 4.1.4 until the release process is complete. And then
we should start a proper discussion (that I'll be very happy to
participate in, since my list of pending, realistic, proposals is
getting longer and longer!) about the next release.

Its outcome will define how big a scope 4.2.0 has. And at that point, we
can see whether it is more appropriate to number it 4.2.0, or 5.0, or
6.0, or 2018, or whatever. Until we don't know what goes into it, just
tossing a number is a futile exercise.

If we don't have consensus on many changes, 4.2.0 will still be OK. If
instead we have consensus on a significant number of changes, even
numbering it 4.5.0 might be restrictive. As in all sane communities,
this depends on discussion. I'm really looking forward to starting it
next week.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: 4.5.0? (Was: Re: AOO 4.2.0 and macOS)

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
4.2.0 the idea is we could reference it to Douglas Adams answer 42.
Which is kinda funny.
However I would like to postpone the discussion towards 20ties since I have .ore time then. Very unselfish of me I know. ;)

All the best
Peter