Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Thejas Prasad <th...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/25 18:35:11 UTC

Interested in developing for mahout

Hello all,

I am interested in developing for mahout. As I am new to it, (well I made a basic recommendation engine with Hadoop a while back) what is the best way to get statues and what are areas I can start developing on?

Thanks a bunch,
Thejas
Sent from my iPhone

Re: Interested in developing for mahout

Posted by Aamir Khan <9a...@gmail.com>.
Ted,

I checked out the  streaming k-means and standard k-means.
Can you tell more specifically and details about the requirements.

-Aamir

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Aamir,

Posted by thejas prasad <th...@gmail.com>.
Pat & Ted,
I was thinking of building an example/ tutorial for
https://mahout.apache.org/users/recommender/intro-cooccurrence-spark.html.
Would that be an overkill? Note this would be a scala example.. And also
should I create a Jira for this?

Thanks again for all the support!
Thejas

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
If you are talking about the Scala Mahout+Solr recommender here are some docs for the drivers: https://mahout.apache.org/users/recommender/intro-cooccurrence-spark.html There is some description of integration but not nearly enough.

Posted by Thejas Prasad <th...@gmail.com>.
Ted,

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Thejas,

Posted by thejas prasad <th...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Dimitry,

I shall look in that in a while, after I write a tutorial for the nen
recommender engine

-Thejas

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by thejas prasad <th...@gmail.com>.
Hey Ted,

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
 Lloyd K-means iteration is possible in pure algebraic form. I published a
fragment of the code on this list at some point. I can probably do archive
search and dig it out.

Various algorithm inducing techniques are probably quasi algebraic. Which
means there will be some things that cannot be expressed in R-like algebra
and will have to be separated into an engine-specific component.

I also doubt (really a lot) the wisdom of bringing disitributed reduce to
matrices api.

First, any such attempt (such as introduction of a reduce) will be
crippling w.r.t actual engine capabilities (i.e. in Spark there are
probably couple of dozen distributed primitives beyond reduce; and reduce
in my experience is far from being the one most frequently used.) For
example, implicit ALS paradigm is not most efficient using Spark reduce (if
at all possible).

Second, when you do distributed operations, being in Matrix world (i.e.
dealing with fixed row vector type) is also very constraining. Most of the
time you actually don't want arguments of say bagel operations to be
constrained to a single vector.

Third, bringing all engine capabilities under same common denominator is
challenging at best. Either way, we end up either robbing ourselves of
engine real capabilities (per above) or emulating them which would lead to
unnatural utilization and/or low performing algorithm.

Fourth, nor it is really necessary. More likely, a huge strategy (like what
we have for DistributedEngine strategy) of doing some frequent high level
things in a particular engine -- even if they are specific to an algorithm
-- is far more pallatable way of abstracting these things (even if there's
need to go abstract at all).

There are also a lot of issues with Colt in-memory performance.

Posted by Aamir Khan <9a...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Thejas,