Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Karts <ka...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/19 20:15:43 UTC

data corruption like behavior

I have noticed some strange patterns when testing with the 0.8.1 build and
the 0.8.2 builds, and are listed below.
1. So I setup a brand new cluster [3 kafka nodes with 3 zookeepers],
created 2 topics via the API calls, everything went fine and was
successfully able to view my messages in my consumers. There were no
messages lost. All is happy. Now, I change my setup to just have 1
zookeeper. and do my test again, i lose some messages. I have checked that
all my configs are pointing to just 1 zookeeper and there was no mention of
the other 2 offline zookeepers. any idea why ?
2. I revert back my settings to the original config, all 3 nodes are
online, no errors, send messages to same old topic, and i am still loosing
some messages. I deleted all the old topic files [to follow the 'cleanup'
process], create a new topic, and i am successfully able to receive all
messages. no loss whatsoever.
3. Now in this state, i upgrade to 0.8.2, and try sending messages to the
topic that was made after the above cleanup, and i am losing messages
again.

Am i making sense? I mean this is a very strange behavior, and if anyone
can comment on this [please correct me if i have done something 'very'
wrong]..

Thanks..

Re: data corruption like behavior

Posted by Karts <ka...@gmail.com>.
actually i take that back. it reads from where the last offset left off.

Posted by Karts <ka...@gmail.com>.
[2015-02-05 14:21:09,708] ERROR [ReplicaFetcherThread-2-1], Error in fetch
Name: FetchRequest; Version: 0; CorrelationId: 147301; ClientId:
ReplicaFetcherThread-2-1; ReplicaId: 3; MaxWait: 500 ms; MinBytes: 1 bytes;
RequestInfo: [site.db.people,6] ->
PartitionFetchInfo(0,1048576),[site.db.main,4] ->
PartitionFetchInfo(0,1048576),[site.db.school,7] ->
PartitionFetchInfo(0,1048576),[site.db.people,2] ->
PartitionFetchInfo(0,1048576),[k3.hydra,6] ->
PartitionFetchInfo(3,1048576),[site.db.school,3] ->
PartitionFetchInfo(0,1048576),[site.db.main,0] ->
PartitionFetchInfo(0,1048576),[site.db.cmphotos,2] ->
PartitionFetchInfo(2245,1048576),[site.db.cmphotos,6] ->
PartitionFetchInfo(2220,1048576) (kafka.server.ReplicaFetcherThread)

These were some of the errors from the server log. didnt find any on the
producer side of things.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Karts <ka...@gmail.com>.
yes i did.