Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com> on 2007/07/22 02:54:10 UTC

Problem with new callback implementation for the Web Service binding

I have come across a problem with my new implementation of callbacks
across the Web Service binding.  This code handles callbacks in the same
way as forward calls by creating an Axis service and a servlet on the
reference end to receive the callbacks, and using a normal Axis2
OperationClient on the service end to invoke them.

The problem is an error
   org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: Transport error: 404 Error: Servlet /MyClientComponent/$callback$.myService is not available
when the service side attempts to make a callback to the client side.
This URI is one I have constructed to represent a reference callback endpoint.
I have created a servlet and registered a mapping for this callback URI using
the same code that does this successfully for a service.  I don't know why
my callback servlet isn't available but my servlet for the forward call works OK.

In the following trace there are some debug println calls showing that the
servlet mapping is being registered with the correct URI, and that the server
callback invocation back to the client is using the same URI that was extracted
from WS-Addressing information sent on the forward call.

To run the new code path and see this problem, you need my latest patch (patch2)
applied, and you also need to make some small modifications to the code in
binding-ws-axis2 and to the SCDL and WSDL files in simple-callback-ws.
  1. In Axis2ReferenceBindingProvider.java and Axis2ServiceBindingProvider.java,
     change the value of "tactical" from true to false, then rebuild the
     binding-ws-axis2 module.
  2. In simple-callback-ws, change the WSDL to use a one-way MEP rather than
     a two-way MEP for the call to someMethod (see commented instructions).
     Also change the SCDL to specify a wsdl.port instead of a wsdl.binding for
     the callback (see commented instructions).  Rebuild simple-callback-ws and
     you should see the following trace.

Any suggestions for what is causing this problem would be very gratefully received!

   Simon

Running simplecallback.SimpleCallbackTestCase
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.axiom.om.util.StAXUtils).
Axis2ServiceProvider: adding servlet mapping for http://localhost:8085/MyClientComponent/$callback$.myService
22-Jul-2007 00:31:27 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.10
22-Jul-2007 00:31:27 org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig defaultWebConfig
INFO: No default web.xml
22-Jul-2007 00:31:27 org.apache.catalina.startup.DigesterFactory register
WARNING: Could not get url for /javax/servlet/jsp/resources/jsp_2_0.xsd
22-Jul-2007 00:31:27 org.apache.catalina.startup.DigesterFactory register
WARNING: Could not get url for /javax/servlet/jsp/resources/web-jsptaglibrary_1_1.dtd
22-Jul-2007 00:31:27 org.apache.catalina.startup.DigesterFactory register
WARNING: Could not get url for /javax/servlet/jsp/resources/web-jsptaglibrary_1_2.dtd
22-Jul-2007 00:31:27 org.apache.catalina.startup.DigesterFactory register
WARNING: Could not get url for /javax/servlet/jsp/resources/web-jsptaglibrary_2_0.xsd
22-Jul-2007 00:31:27 org.apache.catalina.startup.DigesterFactory register
WARNING: Could not get url for /javax/servlet/resources/j2ee_web_services_1_1.xsd
22-Jul-2007 00:31:27 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8085
22-Jul-2007 00:31:27 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8085
Axis2ServiceProvider adding servlet mapping for http://localhost:8085/MyServiceComponent
Main thread Thread[main,5,main]
aClientMethod on thread Thread[main,5,main]
aClientMethod return from someMethod on thread Thread[main,5,main]
Sleeping ...
22-Jul-2007 00:31:28 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper unload
INFO: Waiting for 1 instance(s) to be deallocated
setMyServiceCallback on thread Thread[pool-1-thread-1,5,main]
someMethod on thread Thread[pool-1-thread-1,5,main]
Axis2BindingInvoker: dynamic endpoint URI is http://localhost:8085/MyClientComponent/$callback$.myService
22-Jul-2007 00:31:28 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
INFO: Servlet /MyClientComponent/$callback$.myService is currently unavailable
java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException
	at $Proxy11.receiveResult(Unknown Source)
	at simplecallback.MyServiceImpl.someMethod(MyServiceImpl.java:48)
	at org.apache.tuscany.sca.implementation.java.invocation.JavaTargetInvoker.invokeTarget(JavaTargetInvoker.java:112)
	at org.apache.tuscany.sca.implementation.java.invocation.JavaTargetInvoker.invoke(JavaTargetInvoker.java:134)
	at org.apache.tuscany.sca.implementation.java.invocation.PassByValueInvoker.invoke(PassByValueInvoker.java:61)
	at org.apache.tuscany.sca.implementation.java.invocation.TargetInvokerInvoker.invoke(TargetInvokerInvoker.java:46)
	at org.apache.tuscany.sca.core.databinding.wire.DataTransformationInteceptor.invoke(DataTransformationInteceptor.java:68)
	at org.apache.tuscany.sca.binding.axis2.Axis2ServiceProvider.invokeTarget(Axis2ServiceProvider.java:421)
	at org.apache.tuscany.sca.binding.axis2.Axis2ServiceInMessageReceiver.invokeBusinessLogic(Axis2ServiceInMessageReceiver.java:67)
	at org.apache.axis2.receivers.AbstractInMessageReceiver.receive(AbstractInMessageReceiver.java:33)
	at org.apache.axis2.engine.AxisEngine.receive(AxisEngine.java:144)
	at org.apache.axis2.transport.http.HTTPTransportUtils.processHTTPPostRequest(HTTPTransportUtils.java:279)
	at org.apache.axis2.transport.http.AxisServlet.doPost(AxisServlet.java:116)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:727)
	at org.apache.tuscany.sca.binding.axis2.Axis2ServiceServlet.service(Axis2ServiceServlet.java:234)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:228)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:175)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:104)
	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:216)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:844)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:634)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:352)
	at org.apache.tuscany.sca.core.work.Jsr237Work.run(Jsr237Work.java:61)
	at org.apache.tuscany.sca.core.work.ThreadPoolWorkManager$DecoratingWork.run(ThreadPoolWorkManager.java:206)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:650)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:675)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
Caused by: org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: Transport error: 404 Error: Servlet /MyClientComponent/$callback$.myService is not available
	at org.apache.axis2.transport.http.CommonsHTTPTransportSender.invoke(CommonsHTTPTransportSender.java:221)
	at org.apache.axis2.engine.AxisEngine.send(AxisEngine.java:452)
	at org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.send(OutInAxisOperation.java:330)
	at org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.execute(OutInAxisOperation.java:294)
	at org.apache.tuscany.sca.binding.axis2.Axis2BindingInvoker.invokeTarget(Axis2BindingInvoker.java:94)
	at org.apache.tuscany.sca.binding.axis2.Axis2BindingInvoker.invoke(Axis2BindingInvoker.java:72)
	at org.apache.tuscany.sca.core.databinding.wire.DataTransformationInteceptor.invoke(DataTransformationInteceptor.java:68)
	at org.apache.tuscany.sca.core.invocation.AbstractInvocationHandler.invoke(AbstractInvocationHandler.java:142)
	at org.apache.tuscany.sca.core.invocation.JDKCallbackInvocationHandler.invoke(JDKCallbackInvocationHandler.java:91)
	... 36 more
Caused by: org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: Transport error: 404 Error: Servlet /MyClientComponent/$callback$.myService is not available
	at org.apache.axis2.transport.http.CommonsHTTPTransportSender.writeMessageWithCommons(CommonsHTTPTransportSender.java:314)
	at org.apache.axis2.transport.http.CommonsHTTPTransportSender.invoke(CommonsHTTPTransportSender.java:201)
	... 44 more
Caused by: org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: Transport error: 404 Error: Servlet /MyClientComponent/$callback$.myService is not available
	at org.apache.axis2.transport.http.HTTPSender.sendViaPost(HTTPSender.java:179)
	at org.apache.axis2.transport.http.HTTPSender.send(HTTPSender.java:73)
	at org.apache.axis2.transport.http.CommonsHTTPTransportSender.writeMessageWithCommons(CommonsHTTPTransportSender.java:305)
	... 45 more
Caused by: org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: Transport error: 404 Error: Servlet /MyClientComponent/$callback$.myService is not available
	at org.apache.axis2.transport.http.HTTPSender.handleResponse(HTTPSender.java:320)
	at org.apache.axis2.transport.http.HTTPSender.sendViaPost(HTTPSender.java:177)
	... 47 more
RuntimeException invoking receiveResult: java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException
22-Jul-2007 00:31:28 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol destroy
INFO: Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8085
Tests run: 1, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 3.265 sec <<< FAILURE!

Re: Problem with new callback implementation for the Web Service binding

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
Simon Nash wrote:

(cut)

> Now let's come back to the problem that I cam currently seeing.  I'm not
> sure if you have looked into the details of the failure.  My code is
> effectively already doing exactly what you suggest (including registering
> a servlet mapping for the pseudo-service that supports the callback
> reference), and I am seeing a "servlet unavailable" message when trying
> to invoke the servlet.  I'd like to understand why this is happening
> before making all the code change you are suggesting, which could possibly
> still result in the same error because they will be doing the same thing.
>
> If anyone else understands how servlet registration and servlet mapping
> works and could help me today to look into this problem, I would
> appreciate it.  Otherwise I will continue to educate myself in this
> area and try some other scenarios to attempt to narrow it down.  The first
> thing I will try is doing exactly what Raymond suggests, but manually
> in the SCDL, to see whether the problem still occurs.

I tried this and got exactly the same error with not a callback in sight
anywhere, just plain old references and services making forward calls.
I have created TUSCANY-1474 for this problem and I have attached my
test case simple-callback2-ws.zip to it.  It seesms that no more than one
Tomcat Axis2 servlet can be registered, which means that it's not possible
to have more than one SCA service that uses the Web Service binding.

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
I'm glad to see my post about this made it to the ML.  I have not
received a copy back yet myself from the server.

I had thought about this approach and I think it may be the best
solution.  One possible point against it is that there could be some
bindings that are able to support a suitable callback MEP themselves
in a more efficient way than having completely separate forward and
callback paths.  Having these bindings be callback aware and able to
control the callback interactions would be better than having the
core create two independent one-way bindings that don't know about
each other.

There's also the question of how the forward and reverse bindings and
forward calls and callbacks are correlated.  At present there is code
in the bindings to perform this correlation, in a binding-specific way.
If we move this code to the core, we will need to be sure that the
approach we come up with is suitable for all binding types and all
possible endpoints.

On the plus side, this approach would make both the core and the
bindings a lot simpler and I am inclined to think that on balance it
will be worth making these changes.  I would like to stage this by
first completing the implementation that I currently have, which is
functionally equivalent to what you are suggesting.  The new code for
this in the Web Service binding looks more complicated than it is
because the code is currently dual-pathed to support both the current
tactical solution and the new approach.  When I remove the dual-pathing
and the massive code duplication, you will see that it is already very
close to what you suggest.