Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org> on 2002/07/04 18:17:44 UTC

CVS issues (was: Re: Need todo list for Cocoon transition)

Next, CVS:

<diana>
3. Cocoon CVS needs some revisions
   - add forrest.xgump
   - add build facilities and targets
   - ? Is the Forrest CVS adapting to Cocoon CVS structure or vice versa?
</diana>

<steven>
I checked the src/documentation structure of current Cocoon CVS and it
seems pretty well shaped up for Forrest remote project building.
</steven>

But Forrest depends on more than what is located in xdocs. If Cocoon
needs to generate its own doc builds (for distro, etc.) it needs to
revise its CVS to include:

1. Revised xdocs, obviously. But the mechanism to accomplish this
quickly is done.
2. Revised files in resources: stylesheets, schema, entities, etc.
3. addition of forrest.xgump (and removal of changes.xml and todo.xml
etc. now factored into forrest.xgump, and modification of distro-doc
builds).

Also:
1. Forrest needs to add a build target which triggers the creation of
jars.xml.

Anything else?

Issues:
Do *all* stylesheet modifications/additions have to go through Forrest?
I hope not. I think you need to allow projects to have at least some
project-specific stylesheets. As a trivial example, I added a transform
step to Cocoon's FAQ generation which includes the same FAQ content on
the bottom of every FAQ page (instructions on how to add a FAQ to the
page). Perhaps not all projects will want this particular content layer.
If so, the ability to have project-specific stylesheets also means the
ability to modify the sitemap. Of course, no project needs to have the
ability to modify the sitemap to take advantage of Forrest, but I don't
see how you can prevent such modifications, especially for projects like
the Cocoon.

Diana