Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Ryan J Ollos <rj...@apache.org> on 2015/02/06 09:53:52 UTC

Re: Monitoring Apache Bloodhound web sites

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Ryan J Ollos <rj...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I came across the Local Project Monitoring Services page and would like to
> see if we can have the following sites monitored:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ on bloodhound-vm.apache.org
>
> https://bh-demo1.apache.org/ on bloodhound-vm2.apache.org
>
> https://bh-demo2.apache.org/ on bloodhound-vm2.apache.org
>
> Please let me know if I've ommtted any important info.
>
> Thank you for your time,
> - Ryan

I created a JIRA issue to track the request:

Re: Monitoring Apache Bloodhound web sites

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 13 March 2015 at 15:28, Ryan J Ollos <rj...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 12:53 AM, Ryan J Ollos <rj...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Ryan J Ollos <rj...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I came across the Local Project Monitoring Services page and would like
> >> to see if we can have the following sites monitored:
> >>
> >> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ on bloodhound-vm.apache.org
> >>
> >> https://bh-demo1.apache.org/ on bloodhound-vm2.apache.org
> >>
> >> https://bh-demo2.apache.org/ on bloodhound-vm2.apache.org
> >>
> >> Please let me know if I've ommtted any important info.
> >>
> >> Thank you for your time,
> >> - Ryan
> >>

> > I created a JIRA issue to track the request:
> >

> INFRA has added monitoring for the 3 sites. You can subscribe at:
> http://status.apache.org/pubsub/manage.cgi

​Thanks for that Ryan..

The demo sites seem to go up and down like yo-yos. I'm going to guess that
I have been the only person attempting to intervene a small number of times
over the weekend.

It might be possible to tune the webservers better; it may not really be a
beefy enough VM to cope with the amount of traffic it can get without some
changes.

Cheers,
    Gary

Re: Monitoring Apache Bloodhound web sites

Posted by Ryan J Ollos <rj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ryan J Ollos <rj...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 12:53 AM, Ryan J Ollos <rj...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Ryan J Ollos <rj...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I came across the Local Project Monitoring Services page and would like
>> to see if we can have the following sites monitored:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ on bloodhound-vm.apache.org
>>
>> https://bh-demo1.apache.org/ on bloodhound-vm2.apache.org
>>
>> https://bh-demo2.apache.org/ on bloodhound-vm2.apache.org
>>
>> Please let me know if I've ommtted any important info.
>>
>> Thank you for your time,
>> - Ryan
>>

> I created a JIRA issue to track the request:

Pingdom has provided me an account at no charge for monitoring the Trac and
Trac-Hacks open source projects. As an interim solution, if/until we have
monitoring services from ASF infra, I've added monitoring for
issues.apache.org/bloodhound, bh-demo1.apache.org and bh-demo2.apache.org
(currently offline). If anyone wants to be added to the notification list,
please send me your email, phone number for sms, or twitter handle. They
also offer apps for IOS and Android if you prefer to receive notifications
through that mechanism.

I just use email notification for down/up alerts. A single alert is sent
when the site fails a check and another when it comes back online. I've
used the service for years with my last two employers and it's been
reliable. They have been generous in recently offering an account for
monitoring open source projects.

 - Ryan