Posted to apps-dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/10/09 23:27:26 UTC

Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release

Folks,

 http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon-phoenix/nightly/2002-10-09/

It includes ..

* better logging and backwards compatability
* An updated MX4J (actually from their CVS HEAD) with serious bugs fixed.
* Actual delete of the contents of the work/ directory on start.
* Wrapper 2.2.8 (Windows only) for thunking into the Windows services panel.

This is compatible with all the usual SAR files including the incredibly
exiting Catalina SAR (Sevak-Catalina from Daniel K).

When the MX4J team release 1.1.1, we'll do the same for 4.0.1 formally.
 This URL is for those that want to see the changes now and can't wait a
few days.

I've not uploaded the source as the build.xml will try to get the MX4J
1.1 release which is no longer compatible.  I have also not committed
the changed build.xml for the same reason, unless people are willing to
make some manual jar replacements after the 'get-mx4j' target.

Maybe if we can be brave with the inclusion of the MX4J jars, I could
date suffix them as we do with other jars.  We don't as we are unsure
that the MX4J project is correctly licensing the javax.management
classes.  At least that is why I think we are not uploading the jars to
CVS....

Regards,

- Paul

Re: Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Mauro,

> am I mistaken or the fixed that was noted in the run.bat
> (PHOENIX_SECURE -> PHOENIX_SM in java command)
> has not been applied?

We're juggling two branches for phoenix now, so that is likely to be the
problem.  I'll fix it again now :-)

I'm looking after the 4.0.x branch (RELEASE_402-branch).  It will die
soon enough for the sake of the 4.1 label/branch. Not that 4.1 has been
discussed.  It just seems logical...

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.
Mauro Talevi wrote:
> Johan Sjöberg wrote:
>
> I have not tried the installer - why is not satisfactory?

It only exists on my disk... ;)

If you didn't read the discussion, I tested Inno-Setup that Nicola-Ken
suggested. First, I'm not completely ready with the install script and
all the changes to build.xml, ant.properties, documentation etc. This
can be done in a day or so.

What I'm not satisfied with is to have to define all the documentation
and source directories in the install-script file. I have to find some
way to include them automatically or just include ZIP files. It is
possible that there is a command in inno-setup that does this, but I
haven't found it yet. Except of that it seems to work quite well...

Cheers,

//
Johan

Re: Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release

Posted by Mauro Talevi <ma...@aquilonia.org>.
Johan Sjöberg wrote:

> Attached is an example of this... would it work for you? It surely
> needs some polishing before a release though, but could be a start ;)

yes - I think something along these lines would be quite useful.
I've tried the run targets and they work fine.

> I used it for an example setup script for Phoenix on windows. I made
> links to it from the start menu with the different parameters. Sadly
> I'm not satisfied with the install system yet :(

I have not tried the installer - why is not satisfactory?

Mauro

Re: Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.
Paul Hammant wrote:
> Leif
>
>>> To start a service they usually go to the Service Console and start
>>> it from there. At least thats what I have noticed (though my windows
>>> usage is minimal).
>>>
>> Actually, I always use the net start/stop commands.  It is way too
>> many steps to go all the way into
>> the control panel's services panel.
>

> I'll do either of the above.
>
> My point is that a batch file that that has 'net start phoenix' somewhat
> obscures the simplicity of the Windows commands.

I didn't mean files with, "net stop phoenix" and "net start phoenix" in.
I was thinking of, let's say Leif's batch files versus one BIG file with
all the same information, but the file is called with parameters. Note
that this big file doesn't exist yet ;)

Personally I'm OK with Leif's files. I haven't tested very much though,
but they look good.

Why... because if I want to remove the service, install it again or just
run Phoenix in a console I open Phoenix's install directory in a file
explorer and click on the files. I have seen other developers do that
too when testing etc. On a production system I wound naturally use the
service. Personally I write net stop XXX in a console, but that doesn't
matter as the service is there and can be controlled in any way Windows
lets you control it. In the future we can perhaps just tell the computer
"Stop Phoenix" and it will do it... then I wouldn't open a CMD anymore.

//

Re: Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Leif

>> To start a service they usually go to the Service Console and start
>> it from there. At least thats what I have noticed (though my windows
>> usage is minimal).
>>
> Actually, I always use the net start/stop commands.  It is way too
> many steps to go all the way into
> the control panel's services panel.

I'll do either of the above.

My point is that a batch file that that has 'net start phoenix' somewhat
obscures the simplicity of the Windows commands.

> As for the concerns about multiple versions of Phoenix on the same
> machine.  That can be
> enabled by changing the wrapper.ntservice.name property in the
> wrapper.conf file.  This name
> is used to register the service.  It is what will show up in the
> service control panel. And is also
> the name that can be used from the net start/stop commands.   I think
> the default name should
> simply be Phoenix.  But it is easy for developers to change it when
> they need to run multiple
> copies.

If that is the case then, we should make a way for the phoenix batch
file to read the property name from the ../conf/wrapper.conf file.

> When James updates to this version, they would want to change the
> wrapper.ntservice.name
> to James for example.  This way users would see "James" in the
> Services control panel and
> be able to start and stop the service from the command line using "net
> start James" and
> "net stop James"

The Phoenix in James CVS, does in fact use James for the service name (I
did the commit).  I've retired from James team support now so another
will have to do it.

In the long term though I would hope that the James team only make a SAR
file available for download and do not use their internal Phoenix.

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.

Paul Hammant wrote:

> Another thing we need to decide is if wrapper.exe|dll|jar should be in
> the bin dir or in bin/lib.

The jar and dll/lib files should go in the bin/lib directory.  But the
Wrapper sets the current
working directory to the location of the Wrapper.exe file.  This is
necessary to make relative
directories work correctly when run as a Service.  Normally, an
application run as a service
will have its working directory set to the windows\system32 directory.
 There were also
problems when running from shortcuts etc.  To make things work
consistently all the time,
I just forced the working directory to the Wrapper.exe's directory.

Cheers,
Leif

Re: Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.
Paul Hammant wrote:

>> Attached is an example of this... would it work for you? It surely
>> needs some polishing before a release though, but could be a start ;)
>

> Actually having looked at your and Lief's, I think Leif's are better....
>
> Reason : I don't think we should have 'net start phoenix' in batch
> files.  It could be that anoother phoenix has already been installed and
> that we don't want to run that one.  I think users should get used to
> doing 'net start phoenix' and 'net stop phoenix' themselves rather than
> relying on convenience batch files.  Lief's also have some separation
> between the modes of operation of phoenix.

Paul,
come on. That file is something I used for testing an installed
Phoenix... no environment checks or anything.

About the net stops/starts:

I used a name like Phoenix-4.x.x both for the default installation
directory and the NT service name. This means that several phoenixes can
be installed at the same time when updating. I had links in the start
menu (in a subdir with version info) for starting and stopping them. To
test this I made that little script.

It could be discussed if some update system should be used instead of
installing in different directories and using different service names,
but as that is more difficult I didn't want to start with that.

> Another thing we need to decide is if wrapper.exe|dll|jar should be in
> the bin dir or in bin/lib.

I have updated dist-lite-wrapper (and some other tasks) locally to
download the wrapper files and copy them to:
bin/Wrapper.exe
bin/wrapper-linux
(bin/wrapper-solaris)
bin/lib/wrapper.jar
bin/lib/native/linux/libwrapper.so
(bin/lib/native/solaris/libwrapper.so)
bin/lib/native/win32/Wrapper.dll

I can send the diffs if you would like to take a look. This is just one
way to handle the different wrapper versions. Personally I'm not too
happy about the wrapper-linux and wrapper-solaris filenames, but it
could work.

As this layout only works with same versions of all the wrapper distros,
I have commented out the solaris one. Hopefully Leif will get a Solaris
box to compile on soon.

//
Johan

Re: Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Paul Hammant wrote:

>> Actually having looked at your and Lief's, I think Leif's are better....
>

> Damn, Leif not Lief <sorry>must not forget!</sorry>

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'... And well, in 'Leif' ;-)

Re: Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
> Actually having looked at your and Lief's, I think Leif's are better....

Damn, Leif not Lief <sorry>must not forget!</sorry>

-ph

Re: Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Johan,

>> I think it's a good idea to provide these bat files, but I would
>> propose something similar to
>> the Unix camp, ie:
>> 1) a run.bat which runs phoenix in foreground (as run.sh)
>> 2) a phoenix.bat which has different options to launch using the wrapper
>> (eg, launch | install | uninstall )
>>
>> Cheers, Mauro
>

> Attached is an example of this... would it work for you? It surely
> needs some polishing before a release though, but could be a start ;)

Actually having looked at your and Lief's, I think Leif's are better....

Reason : I don't think we should have 'net start phoenix' in batch
files.  It could be that anoother phoenix has already been installed and
that we don't want to run that one.  I think users should get used to
doing 'net start phoenix' and 'net stop phoenix' themselves rather than
relying on convenience batch files.  Lief's also have some separation
between the modes of operation of phoenix.

That said, I've committed neither as some discussion should take place
(my opinion is one of many).

Another thing we need to decide is if wrapper.exe|dll|jar should be in
the bin dir or in bin/lib.

> I used it for an example setup script for Phoenix on windows. I made
> links to it from the start menu with the different parameters. Sadly
> I'm not satisfied with the install system yet :(

:-)

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.

Posted by Mauro Talevi <ma...@aquilonia.org>.
Paul,

am I mistaken or the fixed that was noted in the run.bat (PHOENIX_SECURE
-> PHOENIX_SM in java command)
has not been applied?

Leif,

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

>   java -Djava.ext.dirs=[extensions-dir] -jar [merlin-jar-file]
> [kernel-file-path]
>
> Do you know off-hand if the wrapper package handles -jar based launching
> (i.e. no main class declaration) ?

You can pass arbitrary command-line option to the wrapper in
wrapper.conf, for example:

wrapper.java.additional.1=-Djava.ext.dirs=../lib
wrapper.java.additional.2=-Dphoenix.home=..

and so on.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Leif Mortenson wrote:

>> * Wrapper 2.2.8 (Windows only) for thunking into the Windows services
>> panel.

Just been going over the wrapper config with the idea of putting
something up to run merlin as an NT service.
The normal starup of Merlin is :

   java -Djava.ext.dirs=[extensions-dir] -jar [merlin-jar-file]
[kernel-file-path]

Do you know off-hand if the wrapper package handles -jar based launching
(i.e. no main class declaration) ?

Cheers, Steve.

> Can't wait for James to get up and running with this version so I
> don't need to build my
> own to use the Wrapper :-)
>
> I am sending 4 batch files that you might want to place into the bin
> directory in exchange
> for the current run.bat file.
> Phoenix.bat         (Launches Phoenix as a console app using the Wrapper)
> PhoenixNoWrapper.bat.  (Renamed run.bat)
> InstallPhoenix-NT.bat  (Installs Phoenix as an NT service using the
> Wrapper)
> UninstallPhoenix-NT.bat  (Uninstalls Phoenix as an NT service using
> the Wrapper)
>
> These scripts make it easier for users as they do not have to know how
> to use the
> Wrapper, or even what it is.   Currently, they have to read up on how
> the wrapper works
> and then using the following commands to run as a console app, install
> and remove
> Phoenix as an NT service
> Wrapper -c ../conf/wrapper.conf
> Wrapper -i ../conf/wrapper.conf
> Wrapper -r ../conf/wrapper.conf
> Not very difficult though :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Leif

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Re: Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Paul Hammant wrote:

> http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon-phoenix/nightly/2002-10-09/

Great!

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter

>>>Something changed (broke?) in logging, our SARs now log everything to
>>>the root target.
>>>

>>This is the same as the James team reported with 4.0.
>>
>>Peter, ny ideas?
>>

>In the main branch it is fixed ... I will go have a lookski at old one.

OK dude, let me know the changes and I'll apply to the 4.0.x branch.

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Saturday, October 12, 2002, at 10:08  PM, Peter Donald wrote:

>>> Something changed (broke?) in logging, our SARs now log everything to
>>> the root target.
>>
>> This is the same as the James team reported with 4.0.
>>
>> Peter, ny ideas?
>
> In the main branch it is fixed ... I will go have a lookski at old one.

Logging is working correctly in the 402_BRANCH as of early last week
(and I don't think there have been changes since then on logging...)
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org

Re: Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:43, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>
>>However, why not include it in Phoenix? It would be
>>a sorry server framework without it :)
>

> Maybe in the future. However for the moment I would prefer to focu on shipping
> the minimal set of jars we need. In the future when I finally fix our
> classLoader so that it does everything we need. Then we can look at other
> options ;)

To me it doesn't matter much one way or the other. Now that I know it
isn't included I just do so myself. But new users downloading Phoenix
will certainly not know about it and they will say: "What a sorry server
framework, it doesn't even provide Database support." ;-)

Ulrich

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> Could you make sure that you didn't add excalibur-datasource jar into phoenixs
> lib dir. As far as I recall it has never been used by Phoenix and thus it
> only shipped with phoenix when we used the uber excalibur jar.

Ah, I thought that was 4.0. If it is indeed correct that
Excalibur-Datasource doesn't ship with Phoenix, then there must be a
mistake on my side. However, why not include it in Phoenix? It would be
a sorry server framework without it :)

cheers,

Ulrich

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 18:57, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> Paul Hammant wrote:
> > Ulrich
> >
> >> I've downloaded this release and have several questions.
> >>
> >> 1) When starting a SAR that uses Excalibur Datasources, the class
> >> org/apache/avalon/excalibur/datasource/DataSourceComponent is not
> >> found and Phoenix shuts down again.
> >
> > No idea why that would happen....  The same SAR works in 4.0 ?
>
> Yes, because in 4.0 Excalibur Datasource was still included.

I am unable to reproduce this from the archive at

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon-phoenix/release/v4.0/

Could you make sure that you didn't add excalibur-datasource jar into phoenixs
lib dir. As far as I recall it has never been used by Phoenix and thus it
only shipped with phoenix when we used the uber excalibur jar.

Just to make sure could you go to dir where it is stored and then run

$ cd $PHOENIX_HOME/lib
$ find . -name '*.jar' -exec unzip -U -o {} \; -print
$ find . | grep ataSource

Can you also make sure that it has not been installed anytwhere else that it
would be picked up?
--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Ulrich

> I've downloaded this release and have several questions.
>
> 1) When starting a SAR that uses Excalibur Datasources, the class
> org/apache/avalon/excalibur/datasource/DataSourceComponent is not
> found and Phoenix shuts down again.

No idea why that would happen....  The same SAR works in 4.0 ?

> 2) Where are the JMX/MX4J Jars? I haven't seen them in the lib
> directory. Do I have to put them there myself? If yes, a note in the
> README would be good :)

They are in bin/ (wrapper.exe|dll|jar).

> 3) Why is user/password commented out in kernel.xml in the section
> pertaining to MX4J's HTTPAdaptor?

Not sure.  When uncommented it appears to work just fine.

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Paul Hammant wrote:

> http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon-phoenix/nightly/2002-10-09/
>
> It includes ..
>
> * An updated MX4J (actually from their CVS HEAD) with serious bugs fixed.

[...]

Hello Paul,

Posted by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com>.
Paul,

> >My first test seems to show that it hasn't been resolved.  But,
because
> >at least some of the files in the 10/15/02 nightly build appear stale
> >(see my other email on this list regarding run.bat), I'm not positive
> >that I've got the right code.
> >

> Hmm, this is disappointing.
>
> This is shown in James right?
>
> My problem is that I can only do a simple instantiation of JAMES and
not
> see any generation of  log enties true to real mail pickup.  Is there
> any way that some non-junit tests are coded into the suite that give
> some run-thrus of certain features/mailets ?

All you have to do is startup James.

No need to send mail or whatnot.  All startup log entries go to
default.log.

--Peter

Re: Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

Posted by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com>.
Paul,

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

We have a general idea where theissue is.  I am sure we can work thru it.

-ph

Posted by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

> > Let me retry tomorrow and I'll post results.
>
> thanks!

The problem appears to be resolved in Phoenix 4.0.1.  Thanks.

--Peter

Re: Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:43, Peter M. Goldstein wrote:
> I've got something like six instances of James on
> my dev box.

know how that is. I currently got about 5 different installs of Phoenix ;)

Posted by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

> I swore I fixed this and I can't seem to reproduce the problem. I
followed
> these instructions
>
> Downloaded phoenix from;

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon-phoenix/nightly/2002-10-
> 15/
>
> Got a clean jakarta-james CVS
>
> Built james and copied the .sar file to new phoenix and the logs were
> produced
> as expected.
>
> Can you give me a detailed list of instructions so that I can
reproduce
> the
> problem. If I can reproduce the problem then I can fix it for you ;)

Maybe I screwed up.  I've got something like six instances of James on
my dev box.  Let me retry tomorrow and I'll post results.

--Peter

Re: Phoenix 4.0.1 preview release

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi,

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon-phoenix/nightly/2002-10-15/

Posted by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com>.

Paul,

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

>Paul, that's good to hear.  I'll give it a test.  When is the official
>Phoenix 4.0.1 release coming out (as opposed to the preview)?

I think this could ship at the weekend, as the MX4J changes are enough
to justify squeezing it out.  Many ware waiting for that.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

Will look at that.

4.0.x is on a separate branch to the main development..

-ph

Posted by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com>.
All,

Posted by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter

Posted by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com>.
Paul et al,

We James developers have discovered an issue with logging and Phoenix
4.0 release build.  Specifically, when we use the Phoenix 4.0 beta
release, all of our logging works great.  Log entries all go to the
correct targets and whatnot.  However, after the upgrade to the Phoenix
4.0 release, all logs go to the default logger's log file.  This is
obviously a big problem for us.

My first question is, is this a known issue with Phoenix 4.0?  Has
anyone else seen it?

My second question is, if so, is it resolved in Phoenix 4.0.1?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

--Peter