Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2013/06/12 06:25:09 UTC

[REPORT] Apache Gump Q2 2013

Apache Gump is a cross-project continuous integration server.  Gump's
intention isn't so much to be a CI server but rather a vehicle that
makes people look beyond their project's boundaries and helps the
projects to collaborate.

Gump is written in Python and supports several build tools and version
control systems.  The Apache installation of Gump builds many ASF
projects and their dependencies.  It started in the Java part of the
foundation but also builds projects like APR, HTTPd and log4net.

== Summary ==

The Gump PMC is currently in doubt whether the service is still
needed/appreciated and will query the projects who's code is currently
built by Gump over the course of the next quarter.

== Releases ==

The ASF installations of Gump work on the latest code base almost all
of the time.  The project is in a state of a perpetual beta.  There
have been no releases.

== Activity ==

The problems with accessing Maven Central mentioned in the last report
has magically disappeared.  The best guess is Gump was hitting some
misbehaving CDN nodes that have now been fixed.

In theory we could re-enable nagging mails now, but given the very low
interest over the past years and given that not a single PMC has asked
to re-enable mails Stefan Bodewig raised the question whether it might
not be time to stop providing the service at all.  Feedback from the
community so far was along the lines of "this probably is a service
that you only miss when it is gone" but that we shouldn't keep putting
time and energy into keeping the service alive just because it's
there.

Stefan intends to contact the PMCs who's code is currently built by
Gump and we'll discuss our next steps dependening on the outcome.

The last quarter didn't see any activity at all.

== Infrastructure ==

Gump hasn't been reinstalled on the MacOS X server after the OS
upgrade reported last quarter.  The FreeBSD jail has seen an OS
upgrade as well and also need Gump to be re-enabled.

== Changes to the Roster ==

All ASF committers have write access to the metadata that configure
the ASF installations.

No new committers to the code base, no changes to the PMC.