Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Jan vandenBerg <vi...@pha.jhu.edu> on 1997/08/04 19:40:01 UTC

config/965: Please include important config updates in conf/*-dist files.

>Number:         965
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Please include important config updates in conf/*-dist files.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
This is just a semi-trivial suggestion. When I tried upgrading from
1.2.0 to 1.2.1, I ran into the already-documented problem with the change
in the default lockfile location (PR#'s 835 and 936). I've already solved
my problem by adding the LockFile directive to my httpd.conf file. Previously,
I didn't even know about the lockfiles since the old default location,
/usr/tmp/htlock, worked fine on my systems.

We've been religiously keeping our apache server current, so I've probably
built six or seven different versions of apache in the last year. My stantard
procedure is to diff the conf/*-dist config files with those of the previous
version to see if there are any new changes that I need to incorporate in
my config files. My suggestion is that you update the *-dist config files
even when you add minor config changes like changing the default lockfile
location.

Thanks a lot.