Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mike W <mi...@crucis.net> on 2003/04/18 23:04:14 UTC

[users@httpd] Virtual Host document root problem

dangerous content by F-Prot and MailScanner,
and is believed to be clean.

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Host document root problem

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Mike W wrote:
> > Do you have a
> > NameVirtualHost *
> > directive?
> >
> > Joshua.
> >
> No.  Apache complained about having both name and IP based Vservers.
> The default SSL server is monitoring port 443.  The complaints stopped
> when I commented out NameVirtualHost *.

You need the NameVirtualHost directive.  If you want to do mixed name/port
based virtual hosting (necessary for SSL) then you need to specify an
explicit IP address as in

NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1
and
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>

And no, you do not need to comment out the main DocumentRoot.  It will
just be ignored when you get the virtual hosts working.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Host document root problem

Posted by Mike W <mi...@crucis.net>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Mike W wrote:
> I have just upgraded from RH 7.3 with Apache 1.3.23 to RH 8.0 with
> Apache 2.0.40.  I've gone through the migration and have everything
> running except for one thing.  I can't seem to get the document root
> for the virtual hosts to change---they always stay with the global
> document root.
>
> With Apache 2.0.*, do you remove the global documentRoot and just use
> the ones in the VirtualHost containers?
>
> Here are the ones I've added to httpd.conf...
> # Default server
> <VirtualHost *>

Do you have a
NameVirtualHost *
directive?

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Host document root problem

Posted by Mike W <mi...@crucis.net>.

Posted by Dennis Speekenbrink <d....@student.utwente.nl>.
Hi,

Do you have:

NameVirtualHost *

In your httpd.conf file just above the VirtualHost definitions?
And do your requests go to your global DocumentRoot, or to the first
VirtualHost-DocumentRoot (which automatically acts as the default...)?

Grtz,
Dennis