Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rich Baldwin <Ri...@noaa.gov> on 2003/03/13 14:18:18 UTC

Tomcat Manager reload doesn't work

Maybe someone can convince me otherwise, but the tomcat manager reload
function does not reload classes which have been modified.    Here are
the details: tomcat-4.1.12, apache 1.3, mod_webapp.so, RedHat 7.2, a
Memory Realm has been defined in conf/tomcat-users.xml, and the
manager.xml file is defined under  webapps/  , my web.xml file uses the
<load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup> w/ all of the defined servlets.  I
have tried setting reloadable="true" in the server.xml file; doesn't
seem to matter. I have setup the reload commands in my build.xml file.
The ant build and the html manager interface both run the reload w/o
throwing any errors.  Only problem the modified class never gets
reloaded.  Still the only way that modified class appear to be reloaded
is when tomcat is shutdown and then restarted.  Do I need to add some
special xml in the tomcat-user.xml file?  Do I need to add some other
ResourceLink in my manager.xml file?  Is there something that must
change w/ the way apache and tomcat communicate? (although classes on
port 8080 are not reloaded either).  I really would like to get the
manager working if possible so that I can convince my management to quit
promoting the old jserv servlet engine.

Rich