Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chris Duesing <cd...@chicagoclimateexchange.com> on 2006/11/28 22:50:10 UTC

Apache and Tomcat with Multiple Virtual Hosts

Hello,

I am trying to add a second web application to my server, and in doing
so I have taken the approach of using multiple virtual hosts in both
Apache and Tomcat. The configuration I am using is not currently working
and I was hoping someone might spot the reason.

Background:

Apache 2.2

Tomcat 5.5.17

2 java webapps running jsp's under tomcat and 1 with static content
under apache.

1 webapp requires https/ssl

Subdomains for each app so they can be at the root, rather than having
different context paths.

Mod_proxy and mod_rewrite to communicate between apache and tomcat.

Here are what I believe to be the relevant excerpts from the apache
httpd.conf and tomcat server.xml files.

Httpd.conf:

<VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xx.xx:443>

  ServerName            example1.ccx.com

ProxyPass / http://example1.ccx.com:8443/

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xx.xx:80>

  ServerName            example2.ccx.com
<http://www.staging.chicagoclimatex.com/>

    RewriteEngine On

    RewriteRule ^(.*)(\.jsp)(.*)$ http://example2.ccx.com:8080/$1$2$3
[P,L]

</VirtualHost>

Server.xml:

<Service name="Catalina">

               maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
maxSpareThreads="75"

               enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443"
acceptCount="100"

               connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

               maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
maxSpareThreads="75"

               acceptCount="100" scheme="https" secure="true"

               clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />

<Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="climateexchange.com">

   <Host name="example1.ccx.com" appBase="webapps/example1_ccx_com"

       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

   </Host>

   <Host name="example2.ccx.com" appBase="webapps/example2_ccx_com"

       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

  </Host>

Thanks for the help,

Chris Duesing

Java Developer

Chicago Climate Exchange, Inc.

312 229 5152, direct

312 554 3350, main

312 554 3373, fax

cduesing@chicagoclimateexchange.com

Visit us at www.chicagoclimateexchange.com

This e-mail and any of its attachments may contain proprietary
information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright
belonging to the Chicago Climate Exchange, Inc. This e-mail is intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken
in relation to the contents of and attachments to this e-mail is
e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently
delete.