Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> on 2002/02/23 12:33:02 UTC

The Complete Server Platform?

There has been a lot of talk about what is wrong with the
current main enterprise server platforms, whether it's
about J2EE, .Net or Oracle.

Many of the Jakarta projects provide a (IMHO) superior
alternative to parts of those platforms. Yet Jakarta as a
whole does not provide an alternative to the entire
platform.

I think it would be good if it did.

Why An Integrated Solution Would Be Nice
...should be rather obvious. The advantages are exactly what
makes many companies get a "complete solution" rather than a
loose set of components tied together.
Imagine:
"Welcome to the Jakarta software platform. _click here_ to
download the Jakarta Server Development Kit. It includes all
documentation you need; the documenation is also _available
online_.
Extensions to the base framework include content management
tools, template engines, and implementations of many
important java standards like Servlets and JMX. Browse the
_Jakarta Server Component Library_ to find the applications
you need."

Why It Doesn't Happen
...is also pretty straightforward. Individual developers
work on the various Jakarta projects because they have an
immediate, specific need for the project they're working
on. So that's what they do.
There isn't enough people around devoting energy to
inter-project communication to get an integration project
underway.

dedicated to general discussion. Sharing thoughts should
develop into sharing code every so often.

2) a statement of intent in important places on the website.
I'm guessing that putting "we would like to see tomcat
integrate with avalon" on the projects' respective websites
would mean that such will happen sooner.

3) creation of implementations of Java APIs that increase
interoperability between applications (JMX, JNDI, JMS).
Having a JMX implementation within the Apache fold would
definately ease the tying together of projects.

Why This Rant
I'm trying to state the obvious here. If anything, I'm
curious if anyone has figured out yet where jakarta wants
the balance between total-control-of-direction-from-above
and total-chaos-where-the-only-authority-is-cvs to be.

best regards,

- Leo Simons
(Avalon project)

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2002-02-24 at 10:30, Ted Husted wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
> > 2) a statement of intent in important places on the website.
> > I'm guessing that putting "we would like to see tomcat
> > integrate with avalon" on the projects' respective websites
> > would mean that such will happen sooner.
>
> My concern would be that this promotes a "We are Borg" attitude.

+1 That looks like the kind of statement that cannot be reached by
consensus.  I'm sure there are two sides to that idea..

> Why would "we" like to see Avalon integrate with Tomcat? Why not Jetty
> or Resin?

*shrugs* if the Avalon folks want to see it then I guess they'd
contribute to Tomcat..

> If our committers are choosing to use Tomcat because it meets their
> real-life needs, then why would "we" have to tell them that. Won't they
> just do it because they need it?

IMHO, there should be a *slant* towards inter-Apache-community
cross-breeding.  Not Nazi enforcement...

> IMHO, committers should decide what is best for their product first. If
> we all do that, and we all create best-of-breed products, then
> interoperability will be a natural occurance.

+1

> If it is not a natural occurance, then we are mixing politics with
> technology ... We would simply be replacing the Dark Lords with a Dark
> Lady.

*shrugs* Ladies are prettier

> AFAIK, we don't tell Jakarta committers to use Ant. They choose Ant
> because it is a great tool. The same should go for every Jakarta or ASF
> product.

+1 - Ant RULEZ!  Make SUCKS!

> Meanwhile, I do think documenting how J2SE (Standard Edition)
> technologies can provide an end-to-end solution is a great idea. For
> example, jGuru is running on Resin, Lucene, James, and JSPs. Scales
> great, and not an EJB to be found.

+1

> So, should we (meaning I) write that up as a case study and post it on
> the site? Or, pass because they are not using Tomcat?

I think they should be using SOME jakarta technologies otherwise it
kinda doesn't look like the right site, but *shrugs*.

> AFAIK, Apache is part of the JS2E group, rather than the J2EE group, so
> it seems to me that promoting J2SE solutions is a natural thing for us
> to do, regardless of who provides the underlying product.

IMHO: g/Apache/s//Jakarta/g

(Httpd has little to do with J2-anything)

Right, but I think providing "server-side" alternatives to J2EE is a
good thing.  Whether Jakarta should do it *shrug*...I think its a good
idea...  But its already happening -- Thanks Paul Hammant..  That seems
like the best way to show the "Jakarta Position" to the JSPA..  There is
nothing like doing something better to really make the point sink.  Will
it be better *shrugs* hope so..  It will certainly be more open.  I
applaud Paul et al's efforts and I'll come around as soon as my plate
clears some (I mean it).

Oh the amazing power of those who do.

-Andy

> -- Ted Husted, Husted dot Com, Fairport NY US
> -- Developing Java Web Applications with Struts
> -- Tel: +1 585 737-3463
> -- Web: http://husted.com/struts

http://www.superlinksoftware.com
http://jakarta.apache.org - port of Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document
                            format to java
			- fix java generics!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Leo,

>Jahia
>-----
>goal:    provide portal solution built on J2EE components.
>notes:   Paul, seems like a shrink-wrap commercial
>         solution to me???

It is.  I was just pointing to it as some of the described
plans/proposal were sounded like what it had done.

>Enhydra
>-------
>license: Enhydra Public License (Mozilla-style)

No so, forked into proprietary I think.

Similar story to http://www.simpledb.org/ I think.

>EAS
>---
>goal:    provide BSD-style license J2EE server.
>offers:  Servlets/JSP, EJB, Avalon
>license: BSD-Style
>url:     http://eas.betaversion.org
>status:  alpha
>note:    been dead a while now as backing company went
>         bankrupt.
>
>----------------------------
>OPEN ENTERPRISE DISTRIBUTION
>----------------------------

I kinda have a problem with a project that pulls toegther other projects
(as it's aim).  I would hope that we will one day be able to download
blocks and SARs for server applications and just drop them into an apps/
dir of Phoenix.  Maye my issue is that I am unsure whether this is a
project hoping to make RFC complaint servercomps in one 'product' or
whether it is something else.

>Candidate Components For Inclusion
>----------------------------------
>Jakarta:
>	Avalon
>	Struts
>	Turbine
>	Velocity
>	James
>	Jetspeed
>	Slide
>	Tomcat

Some of there are dependant on the Servlet API and thus are WebApps or
tools used to build webapps.  Therefore they are no so big an issue as
the contract for containment of a webapp is quite well defined (WAR
file).  Resin, Orion, Tomcat(s) Jetty, Jo can all mount them.

>Apache XML:
>	Cocoon
>	SOAP
>
>SourceForge:
>	Enterprise Object Broker

Just to remind everyone this is a "transparent bean publisher" that some
people might want to use instead of J2EE app servers.  We have three
demos that work now.

><snip/>
>

>This e-mail is now officially more than long
>enough.

Then trim out the previous quoted stuff dude ;-)

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Tim Hyde wrote:
> Perhaps one thing that could be sensibly done is to strengthen the packaging
> and market visibility of the things in the Jakarta family ? A great deal of
> pre-selection has already been done, and there is already a project name -
> Jakarta. 'Jakarta Development Kit' might not be the best proposal, but there
> again ...

I haven't suggested this myself since I had a feeling that the project
must materialize first before anybody would vote +1 to make it Jakarta.
There was also a "borg" concern. I think you address it well in the next
paragraph.

> There needn't be any intention on 'family' grounds to exclude any other
> toolset that was seen to be useful, but I can't quite get my head round the
> difficulties of choosing candidates or the weakness of too much dilution.
> Again, these are things that Jakarta has inherently worked through.
>
> Does this make the proposal any more practical ? Are there serious areas
> which Jakarta is missing ?

We are seeing now the main problem here: getting a consensus on what to
include. For instance I would offer Cayenne (
http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/ ) as a data layer and o/r mapping tool
for this project, someone else would offer Torque or Osage, etc.

Maybe this needs to be organized by use case. For example we have a use
case : "writing a database aware web application". Say a bug tracking
system. Volunteers working on the OED project make design proposals. One
(or maybe 2 or 3 that are chosen) are used to implement such a system
(or a prototype of such system to cut on time). Implementations are done
in a way separating OED part from custom code so that. By evaluating
custom code and what it takes to write and maintain it we may be coming
  with a winner combination.

I mentioned bug tracking since I started one such system now to evaluate
Cayenne. I will start doing it in such a "OED format" fashion to see
what comes out.

Also Somebody donating existing end user projects for such a case study
would speed up things a lot.

> Perhaps one of the more useful things we might be able to add are design
> papers un-biassed by the issues of market orthodoxies - even to the extent
> of pointing out areas where the Jakarta technologies aren't the best. Or is
> that getting too altruistic ?-)

This is a good idea, but this is a different issue. I was thinking more
of a package with documentation rather then a paper on how to write apps.

Posted by Tim Hyde <ti...@csi.com>.
Moving slightly retrograde on the proposal (in case we missed something ...)

I think my suggestion for 'alternative to J2EE' probably muddies the waters.
There are a lot of candidates for inclusion, and it would be a horrible
mail-fest even to think about choosing them. One focus must be to make
selecting and evaluation a tool a relatively lightweight task for the
intending user - because if it's part of this platform, (s)he will *know* it
delivers.

GJT comes to mind as something to be added to Leo's list of similar efforts,
and I expect the list would end up quite long.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
'kay. Summary:
(everyone, please correct and add to?)

---------------
SIMILAR EFFORTS
---------------
Here's a list of similar efforts that I know of...
(requirments:
   1) some kind of application platform
   2) 100% java
   3) open source)

JBoss
-----
goal:    provide open source J2EE server.
offers:  J2EE compliance, EJB, JMS, O/R-mapping, JNDI,
         JCA, JTA/JTS, JAAS, GUI Management (JMX),
         Servlet/JSP, Database, JDO
license: LGPL
url:     http://www.jboss.org
status:  release
notes:   huge developer community

Jahia
-----
goal:    provide portal solution built on J2EE components.
offers:  JBoss, Database, Servlet/JSP, custom portal
         server (dunno what it does as the installer
         fails on my win2000 box)
license: Jahia License (commercial)
url:     http://products.xo3.com:8080/
status:  (preliminary) release
notes:   Paul, seems like a shrink-wrap commercial
         solution to me???

Enhydra
-------
goal:    provide open source web application server.
offers:  Servlets/JSP, Template Engine (XMLC), Sessions,
         Database connectivity, MVC Framework
license: Enhydra Public License (Mozilla-style)
url:     http://www.enhydra.org
status:  release
note:    dying slowly it seems, as Lutris is pulling out

EAS
---
goal:    provide BSD-style license J2EE server.
offers:  Servlets/JSP, EJB, Avalon
license: BSD-Style
url:     http://eas.betaversion.org
status:  alpha
note:    been dead a while now as backing company went
         bankrupt.

----------------------------
OPEN ENTERPRISE DISTRIBUTION
----------------------------
goal:    provide an open source alternative architecture to
         J2EE.
offers:  Database, Pooling, Logging, Management, etc.
         (to be defined)
license: Apache-style
url:     none (will be sourceforge)
status:  conceptual

Candidate Components For Inclusion
----------------------------------
Jakarta:
	Avalon
	Struts
	Turbine
	Velocity
	James
	Jetspeed
	Slide
	Tomcat

Apache XML:
	Cocoon
	SOAP

SourceForge:
	Enterprise Object Broker
	Simper (soon, anyway)
	HSQL
	Ozone
	JBoss
	Maverick
	Jetty
	Niggle
	OpenCMS
	Pi
	(...the list goes on and on...)

Exolab:
	OpenEJB
	OpenJMS
	OpenORB
	Castor
	Tyrex

(...)

Clearly, there are loads. We need some criteria.

Architecture
------------
One thing I think OEB needs is formalization of
the patterns of choice in the form of core
interfaces. The two projects I know that deal
with that are Avalon and Turbine.

Another thing it needs is a definition of how it
"glues". Options are JNDI, SOAP, JMX, Avalon
Service framework, Turbine Services Framework,
CORBA...and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Of those, of course _I_ am in favor of the
setup Avalon uses, but hey ;)

This e-mail is now officially more than long
enough.

cheers,

- Leo

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

.

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Bill, Andrew, Andrus, Marc,

>How about a (semi?)-catchy name and a meaningful name--
>Open Distribution for the Enterprise -- ODE

Recap:  This is a webapp project you are talking of?  Or something that
serves multiple server components (from Apache and others).

The below was a project I very briefly worked on with many others to
produce a server that presented JBoss, Tomcat, Hypersonic, Cocoon,
Turbine, JetSpeed all in one VM.  It was callled OpenJODA then, now with
a new codebase and renamed Jahia:

  http://www.xo3.com:8080/

Regards,

- Paul H

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2002-02-24 at 12:42, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> Ted Husted wrote:
> >
> > My concern would be that this promotes a "We are Borg" attitude.
> >

> This is exactly why I think setting up a separate project would be a
> good idea. A project that would realize the concept of a platform that
> uses open tools (as opposed to jakarta-only tools). Though of course it
> will most likely be 70-80% Jakarta based.

+1  -- I think eventually it could be brought to Jakarta if it was
successful.

> Here is a draft of proposed project description:
>
> Project XYZ (replace with a catchy name :-)) is dedicated to creation of
> development and deployment platform for Java web applications. It is
> based on other open technologies. Each one of such technologies
> specializes in a certain area of web application building, such as XML,
> HTML creation, database access, logging, Java development process
> support, etc. Project XYZ is a fusion of these technologies into a Java
> server solution that covers all parts of the spectrum. Also it
> introduces extensions (... need to be defined ...).
>
> Other project goals are:
>
> - to create a lower entry barrier for web application developers to use
> state of the art technology by providing a single full solution "that works"
> - to realize our vision of the best design and development practices
> - ....

+1

> Project goals are NOT:
>
> - to set the only acceptable way of doing things in Java
> - to reduce the importance of technologies that are not in the core of
> XYZ project

> Here is a comparison to show why such a project is needed and why this
> is a good thing. Take Linux example. How many people in the world could
> take kernel code and GNU compiler and make a system that even boots?
> With the emergence of companies like RedHat, people received this
> missing piece - packaging. It was at least as important as kernel code
> itself. And RedHat is not the only way to package Linux, so nobody
> really thinks that RedHat "stole Linux".

-1 - You'll have some issues basing a project on GNU stuff.  Legal
issues.  You have to make sure whatever it is -- is LGPL not
GPL...otherwise you'll need good lawyers to prove the GPL virus clause
invalid.

> I think here we have a similar situation - full platform solution will
> make life easier for many people, while no harm will be done to the
> foundation projects and their alternatives.

+1

-Andy

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
What I think would be cool is if someone (other than me because I'm
swamped at the moment) -- created an "Enterprise Distribution" along the
lines of the vision you outline below (see: www.sourceforge.net or
www.tigris.org).

-Andy

www.superlinksoftware.com
			- fix java generics!

vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2002-02-23 at 11:01, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> It is interesting that I made a similar proposal (or rather described
> the same idea) just yesterday on an unrelated mailing list, with the
> normal excuse of being too busy right now to start working in this
> direction ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/webobjects/message/45867 ). I
> guess the idea is just flying in the air :-)

I've been saying it for awhile.  I'm too busy with POI, Cocoon and
Lucene.  (Having to learn Avalon)

I'll get to it eventually I'm sure if noone else does...  Of course we
may all be C# programmers by then haha...

> > Why It Doesn't Happen
> > ...is also pretty straightforward. Individual developers
> > work on the various Jakarta projects because they have an
> > immediate, specific need for the project they're working
> > on. So that's what they do.
> > There isn't enough people around devoting energy to
> > inter-project communication to get an integration project
> > underway
> true, even though I am not a Jakarta committer, I am in a similar
> situation with my own project.

I don't think you need to be.

> > dedicated to general discussion. Sharing thoughts should
> > develop into sharing code every so often.
>
> agreed.

Thats all I need....one more mail list... *phew*

> > 2) a statement of intent in important places on the website.
> > I'm guessing that putting "we would like to see tomcat
> > integrate with avalon" on the projects' respective websites
> > would mean that such will happen sooner.
>

> Maybe this doesn't even have to be supported by individual Jakarta
> projects. Rather there can be a separate project with its own
> participants. Setting up a mailing list would help to keep design going.
> And after (if) a viable design/vision results from it, a project can be
> setup in CVS to start this big scale jakarta integration and writing any
> missing extensions.

Thats what I think!  I think it should start on sourceforge or some
similar place with its own mail lists, cvs, etc.

I think it should have *sub* distributions as well more specialized to
different areas of the *enterprise*... etc etc.

www.superlinksoftware.com
			- fix java generics!

vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Pete Chown <Pe...@skygate.co.uk>.
Daniel Rall wrote:

> Also, would you point me to a
> reference on how memory management is handled?

It uses the Boehm collector.  For full details see here:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/

It is a conservative collector that can also implement garbage
collection for C and C++, though gcc doesn't yet take advantage of this.

It's a fairly decent collector, I think, that implements most of the
obvious optimisations such as generations, exploitation of the MMU, etc.

Its conservative nature is both an upside and a downside.  On the
downside, a small amount of storage may not get reclaimed -- though
unlike leaky C programs, this amount tends not to increase with time.
On the upside, there is less overhead because the collector doesn't have
to distinguish between pointers and other types.

--
Pete

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> writes:

> on 3/19/02 8:36 AM, "Daniel Rall" <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> wrote:
>
>> Pete Chown <Pe...@skygate.co.uk> writes:

>>> Yes.  You can invoke the bytecode interpreter directly with gij if you
>>> don't want to compile.  Gij will handle Class.forName and friends
>>> correctly.
>>>
>>> If you compile to native code, the resulting executable will first of
>>> all search shared libraries for the class you ask for.  If it doesn't
>>> find it, it will search for a bytecode file that it can interpret.  In
>>> other words you can freely mix interpreted and compiled code.
>>
>> Thanks Pete, very informative.
>>
>> - Dan
>
> One other question:
>
> Is there a valuable performance enhancement to compiling to native
> code with gcj?

Yes, what kind of performance boost to get from this.  For short-lived
apps, I could see it making a very big difference.  However, what
about for long-running server apps?  Also, would you point me to a

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

> One other question:
>
> Is there a valuable performance enhancement to compiling to native code with
> gcj?

Right now - no, I couldn't notice any significant difference while running
tomcat. It is as fast as IBM JIT ( and faster than hotspot ).

However it start much faster, and get to the peak performance
sooner ( since all optimizations are already done ).

Another nice thing is that all the java code is actually compiled
to .so - and fully interoperable with C++ ( for C you need to
deal with the mangling ). That's very similar with C# and .net
languages, and it's not bad at all.

GCJ can be a very good answer to .NET, with a bit of work
it may allow the same language independence ( GCC already
does a lot in this direction ).

Costin

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 3/19/02 8:36 AM, "Daniel Rall" <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> wrote:

> Pete Chown <Pe...@skygate.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Daniel Rall wrote:
>>
>>> Does the bytecode interpreter [from gcj] handle class loading yet?
>>
>> Yes.  You can invoke the bytecode interpreter directly with gij if you
>> don't want to compile.  Gij will handle Class.forName and friends
>> correctly.
>>
>> If you compile to native code, the resulting executable will first of
>> all search shared libraries for the class you ask for.  If it doesn't
>> find it, it will search for a bytecode file that it can interpret.  In
>> other words you can freely mix interpreted and compiled code.
>
> Thanks Pete, very informative.
>
> - Dan

One other question:

Is there a valuable performance enhancement to compiling to native code with
gcj?

-jon

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Posted by Pete Chown <Pe...@skygate.co.uk>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

> I assume that ant is not made to take advantage of a multi-processor
> box, (I compiled some code on a quad processor machine and ant didn't
> really seem to move that much faster then on my laptop) but if I compile
> ant using gjc would it take advantage of a multi-processor machine?

It would be no different.  Sun's JRE and gcj can both take advantage of
multiprocessor machines when threading is in use.  If threading isn't in
use you will only utilise one processor.

--
Pete

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Fri, 2002-03-22 at 02:59, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2002, Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> wrote:
>
> > I assume that ant is not made to take advantage of a multi-processor
> > box,
>
> Ant isn't doing too many things that could take advantage of multiple
> processors - it doesn't compile itself but uses your JDK's javac (you
> know that 8-) which won't take advantage of multiple processors for
> example.
>
> If there are things in your build process that can be done in
> parallel, you can use Ant's <parallel> task (Ant >= 1.4) and run them
> in parallel.  This should take advantage of multiple processors if
> your JVM uses native threads.
>
> If you put <javac> inside <parallel>, make sure you fork new processes
> though as Sun's javac code doesn't seem to be thread-safe.

Are there any solutions that would make a 4-way machine appear as a
machine with a single processor so that single threaded code can take
advantage of those extra processors transparently? I have a 4-way box
here that is sitting idle here @ zenplex and I may have access to 2
8-way machines but if running ant isn't going to be able to take
advantage of these machines (in some form, don't mind doing some work)
then I might as well run builds on my build box at home.

> Stefan

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by di...@covalent.net.
On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On 3/22/02 2:59 AM, "Stefan Bodewig" <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On 21 Mar 2002, Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I assume that ant is not made to take advantage of a multi-processor
> >> box,
> >
> > Ant isn't doing too many things that could take advantage of multiple
> > processors - it doesn't compile itself but uses your JDK's javac (you
> > know that 8-) which won't take advantage of multiple processors for
> > example.
> >
> > If there are things in your build process that can be done in
> > parallel, you can use Ant's <parallel> task (Ant >= 1.4) and run them
> > in parallel.  This should take advantage of multiple processors if
> > your JVM uses native threads.
> >
> > If you put <javac> inside <parallel>, make sure you fork new processes
> > though as Sun's javac code doesn't seem to be thread-safe.
>
> Woo hoo!  This is exactly what I was going to do to ant - I have a dual proc
> mac, and wanted my builds to go even faster...

Cannot ant (like normal decent pmake/bsdmake) figure out from the
dependencies what can be done in parallel. I am not asking for the
awsomeness of 'make -j 8 world' of *BSD - butsomething close should be
possible I take it - could be a nice graduade student project :-)

DW

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 3/22/02 2:59 AM, "Stefan Bodewig" <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 21 Mar 2002, Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> wrote:
>
>> I assume that ant is not made to take advantage of a multi-processor
>> box,
>
> Ant isn't doing too many things that could take advantage of multiple
> processors - it doesn't compile itself but uses your JDK's javac (you
> know that 8-) which won't take advantage of multiple processors for
> example.
>
> If there are things in your build process that can be done in
> parallel, you can use Ant's <parallel> task (Ant >= 1.4) and run them
> in parallel.  This should take advantage of multiple processors if
> your JVM uses native threads.
>
> If you put <javac> inside <parallel>, make sure you fork new processes
> though as Sun's javac code doesn't seem to be thread-safe.

Woo hoo!  This is exactly what I was going to do to ant - I have a dual proc
mac, and wanted my builds to go even faster...

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                       geirm@optonline.net
System and Software Consulting

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

On 21 Mar 2002, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> > ( the startup time is just amazing, you'll not realize you
> > run 'ant' instead of 'ls' )
>
> I assume that ant is not made to take advantage of a multi-processor
> box, (I compiled some code on a quad processor machine and ant didn't
> really seem to move that much faster then on my laptop) but if I compile
> ant using gjc would it take advantage of a multi-processor machine?

No - ant doesn't have too much overhead itself, it's what it executes.

Compiling ant to native reduced the startup time to almost
zero - that's the time it takes to load the huge VM, hundreds of classes,
JIT-compile them. About 3-4 seconds per invocation. All this goes
away ( except the first time you run them ). Plus a lot of stuff that
is not used or is used only once will remain on disk and not take up
RAM ( thanks to the OS paging of executables ).

If you use ant with javac - again you may be able
to cut all the loading/jit-ing of javac - but I wasn't able to
compile javac to native ( I haven't tried actually - I used jikes ).

It's kind of similar with jikes vs. javac.

Regarding multiprocessor - ant is singlethreaded, but if you
fork the compilers it'll take advantage of the other processors.
( jikes or any native compiler will most likely be scheduled to
a different process )

Costin

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> writes:

> On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 15:48, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
> > on 3/21/02 8:41 AM, "Jason van Zyl" <jv...@zenplex.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I assume that ant is not made to take advantage of a multi-processor
>> > box, (I compiled some code on a quad processor machine and ant didn't
>> > really seem to move that much faster then on my laptop) but if I compile
>> > ant using gjc would it take advantage of a multi-processor machine?
>>
>> How would what is currently a shell script that sets some variables and
>> executes a JVM be made to take advantage of a multi-processor box?
>
> I assumed Costin compiled the java goods.
>
>> Just because you have multiple processors, it doesn't mean that the load for
>> one single process is going to be distributed across them.
>>
>> It would take Ant to do all sorts of parallel threading to even get close to
>> making that happen and since Ant is really a single threaded application, I
>> doubt you will ever see a speed up (native code or JVM code).
>
> I was looking for some magic :-)

make -j3

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 15:48, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
> on 3/21/02 8:41 AM, "Jason van Zyl" <jv...@zenplex.com> wrote:
>
> > I assume that ant is not made to take advantage of a multi-processor
> > box, (I compiled some code on a quad processor machine and ant didn't
> > really seem to move that much faster then on my laptop) but if I compile
> > ant using gjc would it take advantage of a multi-processor machine?
>
> How would what is currently a shell script that sets some variables and
> executes a JVM be made to take advantage of a multi-processor box?

I assumed Costin compiled the java goods.

> Just because you have multiple processors, it doesn't mean that the load for
> one single process is going to be distributed across them.
>
> It would take Ant to do all sorts of parallel threading to even get close to
> making that happen and since Ant is really a single threaded application, I
> doubt you will ever see a speed up (native code or JVM code).

I was looking for some magic :-)

> -jon

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2002-03-19 at 10:43, costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> ( the startup time is just amazing, you'll not realize you
> run 'ant' instead of 'ls' )

I assume that ant is not made to take advantage of a multi-processor
box, (I compiled some code on a quad processor machine and ant didn't
really seem to move that much faster then on my laptop) but if I compile
ant using gjc would it take advantage of a multi-processor machine?

> Costin

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by Pete Chown <Pe...@skygate.co.uk>.
costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> It [gcj] had some minor issues ( required few changes, inner classes are
> tricky even for jikes ), and few bugs in class loading - but I was
> able to get everything working.

Yes, it can be annoying to get things working.  I think it's partly
incomplete implementation of features in gcj, and partly that Java
projects are written primarily for conventional JREs.

> The good/bad news - it's was as fast as IBM JDK1.3 on linux
>  ( which is the fastest - on my setup ). Beeing as fast as
> the fastest is usually good news, but I was hoping a bit more :-)

Rumour has it that gcc 3.1 will be substantially better.  I am not
involved enough to know how true this is, but I think a lot of Java
specific optimisations didn't get done until after the 3.0.x branch.

--
Pete

On 19 Mar 2002, Pete Chown wrote:

> Daniel Rall wrote:
>
> > Does the bytecode interpreter [from gcj] handle class loading yet?
>
> Yes.  You can invoke the bytecode interpreter directly with gij if you
> don't want to compile.  Gij will handle Class.forName and friends
> correctly.

I actually tested GCJ ( in 'native mode' ) with ant, tomcat(3), crimson
( required by both ).

It had some minor issues ( required few changes, inner classes are

Posted by Pete Chown <Pe...@skygate.co.uk>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Pete Chown <Pe...@skygate.co.uk> writes:

> The other thing I would like to push is gcj.  It doesn't seem to be very
> well known.  For people who haven't come across it, it is part of gcc
> and it is an ahead-of-time compiler for Java.  It also includes a
> bytecode interpreter so it can deal with dynamically generated code, and
> a free implementation of the Java class libraries.

Does the bytecode interpreter handle class loading yet?

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
On 23 Feb 2002, Pete Chown wrote:

> The other thing I would like to push is gcj.  It doesn't seem to be very
> well known.  For people who haven't come across it, it is part of gcc
> and it is an ahead-of-time compiler for Java.  It also includes a
> bytecode interpreter so it can deal with dynamically generated code, and
> a free implementation of the Java class libraries.

And many jakarta projects compile and work fine ( and fast ) using
gcj. I've got similar results with IBM's JDK1.3 for linux, which
is one of the fastest ( when testing tomcat ), except the startup
time which is much better.

In addition there is an ant task to compile java to native using gcj
( it's part of j-t-c build process, the jkant package ).

Costin

Re: The Complete Server Platform?

Posted by Pete Chown <Pe...@skygate.co.uk>.
I was thinking about another way of pushing Jakarta, partly in the
context of the issue with Sun.  If there was an open process for
standard setting, it could make Sun's closed process less important.

The IETF does well at being open, but I don't think they would get
involved in something like this.  Things like the RFC Editor function
are already overstretched just doing network standardisation.  However,
something along similar organisational lines could work.

The other thing I would like to push is gcj.  It doesn't seem to be very
well known.  For people who haven't come across it, it is part of gcc
and it is an ahead-of-time compiler for Java.  It also includes a
bytecode interpreter so it can deal with dynamically generated code, and
a free implementation of the Java class libraries.

To some extent a project like this is always trying to keep up with Sun,
but it isn't doing badly.  There is already some code (in CVS) to bring
it into compliance with some aspects of JDK 1.4, for example.  It will
also compile many of the Jakarta products.  There is a list of some
current ports at:

http://sources.redhat.com/rhug/

A community-based standards process, together with gcj would provide
independence from Sun.  It is tempting at the moment to embrace .NET,
but that would just tempt Microsoft to pull the same tricks in a few
years' time.  Microsoft is not in this out of altruism any more than Sun
is.

The other point is that Sun will only change if they are given a reason
to.  They are a profit-making company and so of course they will act in
their own interests; that is how business works.  The Java Apache
projects have been one of the major reasons for Java's acceptance.
Apache distancing itself from Sun would be a major reason for them to be
more accommodating.  (Admittedly Apache doing things with .NET would be
an incentive for Sun too, but my first point still holds.)

Right now, Java has a major threat from .NET, and Sun really shouldn't
be fighting with its allies...

--
Pete