Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Bruno Borges <br...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/23 19:05:21 UTC

Wicket supporting Java 1.4 until... ?

Danny Coward said at JavaOne that Java 7 will not be release before 2009.
With that in mind, lets remember that Sun only support the last 3 versions
of the Java Platform. So, we probably are going to have Java 1.4 available,
supported and maintained until 2009. Will Wicket keep supporting this
version?

[]'s
--
Bruno Borges
Summa Technologies Inc.

Re: Wicket supporting Java 1.4 until... ?

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Only for security and blocking bugs. 1.3 will be the last 1.4 supported version.

We have had a very bad experience with maintaining 2 code bases, and
will not likely go again into that realm any time soon.

Martijn

On 5/23/07, Bruno Borges <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Danny Coward said at JavaOne that Java 7 will not be release before 2009.
> With that in mind, lets remember that Sun only support the last 3 versions
> of the Java Platform. So, we probably are going to have Java 1.4 available,
> supported and maintained until 2009. Will Wicket keep supporting this
> version?
>
> []'s
> --
> Bruno Borges
> Summa Technologies Inc.
> www.summa-tech.com
> (48) 8404-1300
> (11) 3055-2060

Wicket 1.2.6 contains a very important fix. Download Wicket now!
http://wicketframework.org

Re: Wicket supporting Java 1.4 until... ?

Posted by Jonathan Locke <jo...@gmail.com>.

Wicket 1.3 will always run under Java 1.4.  But I think requiring 1.5 will
be
a very good thing for next version because of generics.  People who want to
use the next version of Wicket under 1.4 can probably use retroweaver to
create backwards-compatible bytecode directly.  I've done this on a project
and retroweaver seems to work pretty well all the way back to 1.2 VMs if
you really want to go that far.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Bruno Borges wrote:
> I'm just wondering if isn't a good idea to have Wicket been supported under
> 1.4 until Sun drops it. :)

Question is, how? In a corporate environment, if you have two branches
that need maintaining, you just employ twice as many developers
(simplistic, I know...)

In open source, people follow their own urges - so what gets done is
what they need. If I need a feature in 1.5, I'll add it in 1.5. If it
requires 20 minutes to backport it to 1.4, which I don't need, maybe
I'll do it. If it requires a day, how can I justify to my employer my
spending a day on code I won't need?

So, in the end, if you want to see Wicket continue to support 1.4 (that
is for versions beyond Wicket 1.3) and see situations where that is not
happening, then volunteer to fix it. That way it is more likely to
actually happen, because you have that urge.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: Wicket supporting Java 1.4 until... ?

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
that will always work for wicket 1.3

Posted by Bruno Borges <br...@gmail.com>.
supported = javac -target 1.4