Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Donald J <do...@gmx.us> on 2018/08/09 14:48:43 UTC

App fails to completely startup on a Tomcat restart

We are running a Tomcat application where the login always fails after a tomcat restart
with an error about unable to load the configuration context.
The app has a context file defined in /usr/share/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/META-INF/context.xml
which contains :
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context antiJARLocking="true" path="/CAOMWebViewer12"/>

After a Tomcat manager "reload", the application login will always succeed.
A Tomcat manager app stop/start will also let the login succeed.
A Tomcat manager undeploy/deploy will also let the login succeed.
Tomcat version is 7.0.69.

This appears to be an application programming issue to me, but vendor seems to be trying
hard to blame it on our customer configuration.   As example, they are saying they did
not test with a ROOT deployment, so we should not use a ROOT deployment.

catalina log just shows:

Aug 09, 2018 9:26:23 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
INFO: Deployment of web application archive /var/lib/tomcat/webapps/ROOT.war has finished in 4,825 ms
Aug 09, 2018 9:26:24 AM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start
INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-apr-8443"]
Aug 09, 2018 9:26:24 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 6031 ms

I realize the above is not sufficient info for anyone to identify the problem, but
I am asking if there might be any parameter tweeks in Tomcat that might get the
application to totally start up on a Tomcat restart?

Re: App fails to completely startup on a Tomcat restart

Posted by "M. Manna" <ma...@gmail.com>.
What is your full context.xml file? Also, is there any reason why you have
named your application as ROOT.war?

Regards,