Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by caezar <ca...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/05 16:51:20 UTC

Index rebuilding.

Hi All,

Am I right, when I say, that solr index is rebuild, when 'commit' command
send?
Let's suppose yes. For instance, I have solr index with 1M document, and
then I'm committing one more million documents. Here is some questions:
- will this (second) commit took longer then first one? much longer?
- Will it use some drive space for temporary data, while rebuilding index,
which is then will be free? how much?
- Is is possible to perform searches, which this rebuilding is in progress?

Thanks!

Re: Index rebuilding.

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 8:21 PM, caezar <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Am I right, when I say, that solr index is rebuild, when 'commit' command
> send?
> Let's suppose yes. For instance, I have solr index with 1M document, and
> then I'm committing one more million documents. Here is some questions:
> - will this (second) commit took longer then first one? much longer?

When you do the second commit, the auto-warming of caches and/or queries on
newSearcher may take longer. Also, during indexing segments may get merged
which may add some time.

> - Will it use some drive space for temporary data, while rebuilding index,
> which is then will be free? how much?

No. Commit should not need extra drive space. An optimize may need
additional space temporarily. But it is always good to have extra free space
on the disk.

> - Is is possible to perform searches, which this rebuilding is in progress?

Yes.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.