Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mindaugas Idzelis <ma...@ritvax.isc.rit.edu> on 2001/03/14 19:37:32 UTC

info: what works well when developing struts

I found this configuration VERY good at developing struts.

Resin (www.caucho.com)
The struts.jar file should be in your WEB-INF/lib directory.
(if struts is in /resin/lib your classes will not be found when using struts
taglibs --> this is because struts.jar comes before the WEB-INF/classes in
the CLASSPATH)

If you need database drivers, but these in resin/lib. I'm not sure the
reason, but you can't have them in WEB-INF/lib (it won't work)

Resin auto-compiles your JSPs AS WELL AS your java source files (beans,
classes, etc) this is very helpful for development!

Resin is also free to develop with. ;-)

RE: info: what works well when developing struts

Posted by Andrew Boyko <ab...@fabgear.com>.
> If you need database drivers, but these in resin/lib. I'm not sure the
> reason, but you can't have them in WEB-INF/lib (it won't work)

Actually, we've never found this to be true with
PostgreSQL, Oracle, or DB2's JDBC drivers.  In fact,
the only off-the-shelf jar we've ever needed to place
in resin/lib is Sitraka (KL Group)'s JClass ServerChart;
it has some weird classloader issues that cause it to stop
working after a class reload, or in multiple virtual hosts,
unless it's loaded from resin/lib.  Sitraka says "resin
is not supported", and meanwhile I can't even figure out
what you'd do to induce that behavior if you *wanted* to.

thanks for letting me vent. :)

Andy Boyko   aboyko@fabgear.com