Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by P L <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2003/10/03 01:34:22 UTC

Skip attribute validation

Hello,

One of the elements in my XML file contains 4 attributes. I validate my XML file with a DTD.

Now a requirement has come to skip validiting one of the attributes. I tried to remove the attribute declaration from DTD but xerces complains "Attribute must be declared for element type ...". I tried if any of the features,properties available through DocumentBuilderFactory may fit but none of them allow skipping attribute validation.

Any ideas on how to skip attribute validation ?.

Thank you,

Re: Skip attribute validation

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@apache.org>.
Hello,

You cannot skip attribute validation. If you've requested that an XML
parser determine the validity [1] of a document it is required that it
report validity constraints that are violated as errors. The requirement
that all attributes included in the document must be declared [2] is one
of these.

If your document isn't valid, the errors the parser reports aren't fatal,
so if you can determine the context of the error (which I admit isn't easy
given that there's no standard that I know of for reporting this
information) you can ignore the error if you're not interested in it.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#dt-valid
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#ValueType