Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Julien Vermet <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/27 10:05:16 UTC

Send tomcat logs to syslog-ng

Hello

I'm running an apache/tomcat server under Windows Server 2003. I would like
to send tomcat logs to syslog-ng server under Debian. I tried with log4j,
but I receive only application log, no tomcat logs. Do you have a solution?

Thnaks

RE: Send tomcat logs to syslog-ng

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Send tomcat logs to syslog-ng
>
> The OP is under Windows, so probably running Tomcat under the
> commons-daemon stuff (tomcatxx.exe). Does that also work as such in
> that case ?

Yes, it makes no difference if it's running as a service or from a Windows command prompt, with the exception of anything writing to System.out or System.err; for a service, they're redirected, for the command prompt they're not.

 - Chuck

Re: Send tomcat logs to syslog-ng

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Re: Send tomcat logs to syslog-ng
>>
>> You may want to have a look here :
>> http://blog.the-mitchells.org/archives/2004/09/21/tomcat-on-windows-
>> and-swallowoutput/
>
> That's a bit out of date for current versions of Tomcat (but the OP didn't tell us which version he's using).
>
> If you want to use log4j for Tomcat's internal logging look here:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html
>
> If you can live with JULI doing the logging, just fiddle with the config in conf/logging.properties.

The OP is under Windows, so probably running Tomcat under the
commons-daemon stuff (tomcatxx.exe). Does that also work as such in that
case ?
(Actually he did not tell us either, if he is using the MSI or the zip
version, and running as a service or not. I'm just guessing).

RE: Send tomcat logs to syslog-ng

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Julien Vermet wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm running an apache/tomcat server under Windows Server 2003. I would like
> to send tomcat logs to syslog-ng server under Debian. I tried with log4j,
> but I receive only application log, no tomcat logs. Do you have a solution?

You may want to have a look here :
http://blog.the-mitchells.org/archives/2004/09/21/tomcat-on-windows-and-swallowoutput/

I got this link in Google, searching for "tomcat +swallowoutput".