Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by Neale Rudd <ne...@metawerx.net> on 2012/03/06 09:03:46 UTC

Unstarted applications not showing in Tomcat Manager

Hi Guys,

I notice on TomEE that when an application doesn't start, it doesn't appear
in Tomcat Manager like it would in standard Tomcat (as a "stopped"
application).

We have this issue with a number of apps we're trying to port over at the
moment.

In this case below, the problem is missing Hibernate classes.  The app
starts under Tomcat but TomEE seems to check it more strictly.

org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
[StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/kc]]
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:152)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:812)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:787)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:607)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:1055)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(HostConfig.java:978)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:472)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1329)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:311)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)

In Tomcat, as this app would appear in Tomcat Manager, in a stopped state,
we would add the required jar file then click Start to retry a startup.

Under TomEE however, we need to deploy it using the Deploy feature in the
manager, or restart the VM.

Is this expected behaviour?

Best Regards,
Neale

Re: Unstarted applications not showing in Tomcat Manager

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
without more info i can't exactly say but since a lot of class will be
loaded to check they can be instantiated i think it can be a packaging
issue regarding your app.

With CDI everything is managed so should be loadable.

- Romain

Posted by Neale Rudd <ne...@metawerx.net>.
Ok that makes sense.

One strange thing with these 3 failing apps is they don't Hibernate, and
those are the classes that it says are missing.

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.hibernate.Session
        at
org.apache.openejb.core.TempClassLoader.loadClass(TempClassLoader.java:97)
        at
org.apache.openejb.core.TempClassLoader.loadClass(TempClassLoader.java:64)

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
I think so,