Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tommy Peterson <To...@xpandcorp.com> on 2011/06/02 03:53:51 UTC

[users@httpd] how many directives can you have?

I think I am confused about the <Location> directive. How many can you have? Can you list 4 or 5, for example, and they are all acted upon? Or does Apached just start with the first and stop there. Sorry for such a basic question but I ran into an issue.

I used such a directive to lock down a particular directory. All was good. Then I decided that I only wanted part of the directory (web app) to be locked down. So I added several such Location directives. While it appeared to work . . . well without going into too much detail the application didn't require authentication. So I thought it was my application until I changed the directives back to one for the entire directory/application and it started working again as it should.

So I know it has to do with the location directives. Any suggestions?

This message contains Devin Group confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
 Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail in error and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmissions cannot be guaranteed secure, error-free and information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late, incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for errors or omissions in the contents of this message which may arise as result of transmission. If verification is required please request hard-copy version.

RE: [users@httpd] how many directives can you have?

Posted by Tommy Peterson <To...@xpandcorp.com>.
So according to this part:
"    <Location> and <LocationMatch> done simultaneously
Apart from <Directory>, each group is processed in the order that they appear in the configuration files."

I at least logically approached it correctly. Dunno. Perhaps it is something else. I have ruled out everything else and all roads lead back to this . . . the Apache location directives.

I'll just keep looking at it. Thanks for the reference.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

[users@httpd] O.T. [was: how many directives can you have?]

Posted by Stormy <st...@stormy.ca>.
At 08:59 AM 6/3/2011 -0400, Tommy Peterson wrote:

<tongue in cheek>

Paul
Best regards,
Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

>But why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>
>>RFC 1855 specifically states that the quoted message be above the reply
>>text (and trimmed appropriately.)
>>
>>>But what do you mean Please dont top-post? I dont understand.What do you
>>>mean by "top posting"?

</tongue in cheek>

Re: [users@httpd] how many directives can you have?

Posted by Yehuda Katz <ye...@ymkatz.net>.
On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Tommy Peterson <Tommy.Peterson@xpandcorp.com
> wrote:

>  OK. Thanks.
>

> But what do you mean “Please don’t top-post”? I don’t understand.

Personally, I use interleaved posting when answering many questions and
generally top-posting for other things (because Gmail automatically shows
only the relevant parts of the message).
Some lists, like this one, prefer you use bottom posting instead of top
posting (most allow interleave, but some lists require you say that you are
interleaving at the top of the message).

- Y

RE: [users@httpd] how many directives can you have?

Posted by Tommy Peterson <To...@xpandcorp.com>.
OK. Thanks.

But what do you mean "Please don't top-post"? I don't understand.

Posted by Jeroen Geilman <je...@adaptr.nl>.
On 06/03/2011 02:32 PM, Tommy Peterson wrote:
> Yes. Here is what I had to start with

Please don't top-post.

> <LocationMatch "/drupal/online-courses\?id=\d">
>     AuthType shibboleth
>     ShibRequireSession On
>     ShibUseHeaders On
>     require shibboleth
> </LocationMatch>

LocationMatch cannot match a query string, you need a rewriterule for that.
 From the documentation:

For all origin (non-proxy) requests, the URL to be matched is a URL-path
of the form|/path/|./No scheme, hostname, port, or query string *may be
included.
*
/

--
J.

RE: [users@httpd] how many directives can you have?

Posted by Tommy Peterson <To...@xpandcorp.com>.
Yes. Here is what I had to start with
<Location /drupal >
   AuthType shibboleth
  ShibRequireSession On
   ShibUseHeaders On
   require shibboleth
</Location>
As I had the entire Drupal application/directory locked down requiring Shibboleth authentication. It worked just fine.

Then, I was asked to just require Shibboleth authentication on certain sections of the Drupal application so based upon the URLs/Directories I changed the above to the below. This is where everything stopped working. . . the authentication piece anyway.

<Location /drupal/cma/profile>
   AuthType shibboleth
  ShibRequireSession On
   ShibUseHeaders On
   require shibboleth
</Location>

<Location /drupal/cma/history>
   AuthType shibboleth
   ShibRequireSession On
   ShibUseHeaders On
   require shibboleth
</Location>

<Location /drupal/cma/notebook/courses>
   AuthType shibboleth
   ShibRequireSession On
   ShibUseHeaders On
   require shibboleth
</Location>

<LocationMatch "/drupal/online-courses\?id=\d">
   AuthType shibboleth
   ShibRequireSession On
   ShibUseHeaders On
   require shibboleth
</LocationMatch>

<Location /drupal/user>
  AuthType shibboleth
   ShibRequireSession On
   ShibUseHeaders On
   require shibboleth
</Location>

Thanks in advance.
-Tommy

> I think I am confused about the <Location> directive. How
> many can you have? Can you list 4 or 5, for example, and they
> are all acted upon? Or does Apached just start with the first
> and stop there. Sorry for such a basic question but I ran
> into an issue.
>
> I used such a directive to lock down a particular directory.
> All was good. Then I decided that I only wanted part of the
> directory (web app) to be locked down. So I added several
> such Location directives. While it appeared to work . . .
> well without going into too much detail the application
> didn't require authentication. So I thought it was my
> application until I changed the directives back to one for
> the entire directory/application and it started working again
> as it should.
>
> So I know it has to do with the location directives. Any suggestions?

Can you post the example of what you have?

- Jason Pyeron                      PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant              10 West 24th Street #100    -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333            Baltimore, Maryland 21218   -
This message is copyright PD Inc, subject to license 20080407P00.

Posted by Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us>.