Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by "E.A.Holmes" <e....@t-online.at> on 2004/01/11 21:38:04 UTC

using a browser to edit documents

Hi,

Excuse me if this question isn't 100% slide related, but perhaps someone
can give me some help.

I'm trying to use slide and webdav to access documents through a browser
(specifically Internet Explorer 5 +, although I haven't had much luck
using Konqueror either).  The problem is, is that when I click on a link
to retrieve an MS Office document, the correct application is opened but
the MS Office application is editing a temporary file (e.g.
/tmp/MyDoc.doc) instead of a webdav url
(https://slide.mydomain.org/myDocs/MyDoc.doc).  That means that you can
view and edit the document, but when you save it it is simply saved in
the local file system instead of being sent back to the server.
Ideally I would like to click on the link, edit the document in the
proper application and then save it directly back to the server.

Is there any way to get this to work?  Perhaps by sending some kind of
special information in the header?  Or is there some way to configure
Windoze to handle things differently?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me,

Eric

Re: using a browser to edit documents

Posted by "E.A.Holmes" <e....@t-online.at>.
On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 22:02, Julian Reschke wrote:
> E.A.Holmes wrote:

> > I also tried to get the file protocol to work (
> > href="file://webdav.somedomain.com/filepath/file.doc">document</a> ) but
> > couldn't seem to make it happen for me.  If anyone does I would be
> > interested to hear how.
>
> I'm not sure why you bring up file: URLs here? "file:" URLs always refer
> to locally accessibly files and have nothing to do with HTTP or WebDAV.
>
> Julian

The file protocol was an idea mentioned on this list, just wanted to
give my status on the tip.

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.

Posted by "E.A.Holmes" <e....@t-online.at>.
Julian,

Thanks for the tip!  The <a href="http://foobar" folder="http://foobar"
style="behavior: url(#default#AnchorClick)">...</a> is exactly what I
was looking for.
I usually try to keep my code as browser independent as possible, but
this is one of those cases when I'm glad I can use the added
functionality.

I also tried to get the file protocol to work (
href="file://webdav.somedomain.com/filepath/file.doc">document</a> ) but
couldn't seem to make it happen for me.  If anyone does I would be
interested to hear how.

Thanks again,

Eric

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
Julian wrote:
> Eric,
>
> In order to save a document from MS Office to a webdav
> location you will have to add the webdav folder as a
> network place (this avoids having to enter the URL
> every time on save).  The other option is to have the
> document open in the browser via embedded office (i.e.
> office opens in IE) and save the document.  I believe
> this second option should automatically remember the
> webdav location and save properly.  As far as
> launching the MS "Webfolder" from IE, you must use the
> following script:
>
> <HTML>
>   <HEAD>
>     <title>MS Webfolder</title>
>     <STYLE>
>     .hFolder{behavior:url(#default#httpFolder);}
>     </STYLE>
>     <SCRIPT>
>     function fnNavigate(){
>        oViewFolder.navigate(URL);
>     }
>     </SCRIPT>
>   </HEAD>
>   <BODY onload="fnNavigate()" ID="oViewFolder"
> CLASS="hFolder" >
>   </BODY>
> </HTML>

Or simply:

url(#default#AnchorClick)">...</a>

Re: using a browser to edit documents

Posted by Julian <ce...@yahoo.com>.
Eric,

--- Mike Oliver <ol...@matrix-media.com> wrote:
> Yes and there is also a way to open a web folder
> from a link, but I
> don't have that syntax handy.
>
> Ollie
>
> J�rgen Hoffmann wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > A friend of mine told me that he saw this sort of
> thing working, where
> > he did not use a link object with the http
> protocol, but with the file
> > protocol. So <a

href="file://webdav.somedomain.com/filepath/file.doc">document</a>

> > worked for him. This has not been tested by me
> though.
> >
> > if it works, please give a shout.
> >
> > kind regards
> >
> > J�rgen Hoffmann
> >
> > e.holmes@t-online.at wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> I understand why it's not working, I was just
> hoping against all hopes
> >> that their might be some way into 'tricking' IE
> and/or Windows into
> >> passing an URL to the Office product instead of
> saving the file locally
> >> and then passing the local file name.  There are
> so many situations
> >> when this kind of behavior would be desirable.
> >>
> >> Eric

> WebDAV, you
> different really than
> open it from a Web
> File->Open in

> "Add New
> to the Slide folder

> Microsoft
> save your changes
> and will be unlocked

> related, but

> documents

> haven't

> that when I

> temporary file

> That

> it it is

> back to the

> the

> back to the

> by

> some way

=== message truncated ===

=====
Live simply so others may simply live.
�
-Ghandi
�
Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate.
"Entities should not be multiplied unneccesarily"
�
-William of Occam

Re: using a browser to edit documents

Posted by Mike Oliver <ol...@matrix-media.com>.