Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by david hawcroft <ab...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/29 00:52:18 UTC

[users@httpd] Web camera...

 I would like to implement a 'web cam' thing on my site. Have a page
that shows continual scenes - or at least occasional snapshots - and
if anyone has any help regarding how to do this I'd appreciate it.

It seems to me at the moment that on the one hand I must set the
camera up to automatically take snapshots every so often and on the
other write a script that keeps picking up those snapshots, deleting
the used ones, and displaying them... but exactly how to do that...
and is that the right way....

  regards,
david hawcroft

Re: [users@httpd] Web camera...

Posted by david hawcroft <ab...@yahoo.com>.
Thankyou David...

  No, I'm not looking for anything very complicated or more
'complete' - I think what you've done is a greater thing than I'm
attempting.

  For instance: How'd you get the webcam to automatically FTP to the
Linux box? Not that I need to do this, but I'm interested, I don't
know how to do it..

  And then: I haven't worked with Unix for nearly ten years and I
never did all that much then... I don't know what 'crontab' is.

  I should have mentioned in the post that my platform is Win2000.

  And I've followed your method of responding - I've replied to you
with CC to the mailing list. I wondered about this - what's the
protocol? How should we best do it? Is it really considered good form
for each reply to keep the whole content of the thread?

   regards,

david hawcroft

Re: [users@httpd] Web camera...

Posted by David Tonhofer <d....@m-plify.com>.
Hi,

Re: [users@httpd] Web camera...

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.

> I would like to implement a 'web cam' thing on my site. Have a page
>that shows continual scenes - or at least occasional snapshots - and
>if anyone has any help regarding how to do this I'd appreciate it.
>
>It seems to me at the moment that on the one hand I must set the
>camera up to automatically take snapshots every so often and on the
>other write a script that keeps picking up those snapshots, deleting
>the used ones, and displaying them... but exactly how to do that...
>and is that the right way....

yup, and you can get javascript for doing so on several sites. it isn't
a server item it is scripting for the website.
javacam has the software that will run your cam for you on your site.