Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2006/06/16 07:21:29 UTC

Re: [classlib] I modified "build.xml" to stop running the "clean" target on every invocation

On 15 June 2006 at 17:35, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
> I hope that no one really is bothered by that.  It's just so annoying :)
>
> If you are, feel free to put it back  (or I will ) and then lets discuss?

Despite other comments on this thread,  I'm glad it's gone.  I hate it
too.

I do think that we should have a "dist" (or something target that does
do "clean" and "build".  (And we should make sure this is consistent at
the module level.)

-Mark.

Re: [classlib] I modified "build.xml" to stop running the "clean" target on every invocation

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
I haven't read the whole thread yet, and I apologize
for the top post, but I couldn't see that the
discussion was heading for where I want to take it, so
I couldn't stop myself any longer.

Parts of Ant were conceptually inherited from make,
e.g. the common tendency for a buildfile to have an
incremental build as its default.  I think this is
commonly the way people work, especially in TDD:  as
Geir and others said, you make one or ten changes, run
'ant', and whatever has changed is rebuilt.  If you
know you've made a change that might not get picked up
properly (an example I think still applies is when you
change a constant value and you want to be sure it's
not inlined in any old classfiles), or you're ready
for a release perhaps, you run 'ant clean build' (as
opposed to 'ant clean; ant'--which also works at the
cost of an extra JVM startup).  All the makefiles I
have ever seen approach the issue similarly; the fact
that it is familiar to developers of whatever stripe
suggests that it is a convention worth persisting if
for that reason alone.

$0.02,
Matt