Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by uprooter <up...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/06 16:29:20 UTC

Using tomcat to hold many open connections.

Hi.
I'm looking for a server that has to hold many (web services) remote clients
for controlling them.
I want to do things like sending power off command to a bunch of machines
remotely.
The clients are usually windows machines behind firewalls  NAT or web
proxies that only allow HTTP (this is why I thought of webservices)

The regular request-response fashion that servlet follows  is not suitable
here since the initiator of the operation is the server.
What can I do in order to solve this and still use web services?

RE: Using tomcat to hold many open connections.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: ayden@gera.co.nz [mailto:ayden@gera.co.nz]
> Subject: Re: Using tomcat to hold many open connections.
>
> Does CometProcessor and/or NIO come pre-installed &
> pre-configured as part of Tomcat 6?

All part of the basic package:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/aio.html

 - Chuck

Re: Using tomcat to hold many open connections.

Posted by ay...@gera.co.nz.
Does CometProcessor and/or NIO come pre-installed & pre-configured as part
of Tomcat 6?
or do you have to download/install additional things?

>>> kjkoster@kjkoster.org

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Jan-

BB software has the potential to cause a considerable amount of havoc and heartache
you could be damaging the disks if you dont quiesce all of your DB,mail,ftp, tc servers first

I can see the utility to either turn on or turn off smart appliances though..

Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Posted by Clemens Eisserer <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Original post :
quote
Hi.
I'm looking for a server that has to hold many (web services) remote clients
for controlling them.
I want to do things like sending power off command to a bunch of machines
remotely.
The clients are usually windows machines behind firewalls  NAT or web
proxies that only allow HTTP (this is why I thought of webservices)

The regular request-response fashion that servlet follows  is not suitable
here since the initiator of the operation is the server.
What can I do in order to solve this and still use web services?
unquote

I'm not really competent to opinionate on whether Tomcat can do this or
not, but going back to the original description of the problem, apart
from the fact (maybe) that the "clients" are only accessible via port
80, I must say that I don't really see what this has to do with Tomcat,
or any standard HTTP server for that matter.

On the "client" side (the machines to stop), it looks like you would
need some process listening on port 80, able to interpret a limited set
of commands and do something local (stop/start a motor ?).
On the "server" side, you probably want some easy interface allowing you
to send such commands to the many "clients", efficiently and fast.
(I quote the "client" and "server" terms because I'm not quite sure
which is which here).

So I guess yes, to stop yourself from re-inventing the wheel, you could
use webservers on both sides as "containers" for this application, and
you could implement some kind of Web Service to do this, but isn't this
a bit heavy ?  I mean that if you have a Tomcat on the client side, most
of the time sitting idle and just wating for the occasional request for
doing something, it is going to take quite a while for it to "wake up"
when it receives this single request, and to process it if it comes in a
SOAP envelope.  And if your "server" each time has to wait for each
client to acknowledge the request before going on to the next one, it
will take it a while to loop through all clients.

But then, maybe speed is not the issue here.  It's just that you were
talking about powering off a bunch of machines.  I hope this has nothing
to do with preventing a nuclear war or so.

Re: Using tomcat to hold many open connections.

Posted by ay...@gera.co.nz.
Im no techo but I think this is might help
Have a look at icefaces.org
if you can work out how to do it and whats required from tomcat side (NIO
etc) please let me know :)

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.

Posted by Kees Jan Koster <kj...@kjkoster.org>.
Dear Uprooter,

> I'm looking for a server that has to hold many (web services) remote
> clients
> for controlling them.
> I want to do things like sending power off command to a bunch of
> machines
> remotely.

Building a botnet? :-)

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Posted by uprooter <up...@gmail.com>.
Thanks johnny.

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
> I'm looking for a server that has to hold many (web services) remote
> clients
> for controlling them.
> I want to do things like sending power off command to a bunch of machines
> remotely.
> The clients are usually windows machines behind firewalls  NAT or web
> proxies that only allow HTTP (this is why I thought of webservices)
>
> The regular request-response fashion that servlet follows  is not suitable
> here since the initiator of the operation is the server.
> What can I do in order to solve this and still use web services?

HTTP is pull only.... Browser asked a question, server answers
But technologies like Ajax (javascript with a fancy name) simulate real time
display... they can poll.
So thats how you get your charts...

(talks to server)

TC will service those requests but inside TC you can do anything... and in
your case beside the monitoring stuff you going to have a machine client.
ie either the machines are "mini webservers" and or they using a serial
protocol... so you have a "machine service" that talks to them, and monitors
them.
The design may even include talking to a PLC or some some other controller,
possibly even relay logic if the there are safety aspects... ie cant have
the factory shutdown just because a web server crashed, so got to think
about that.

For cool charting and that sort of thing, you looking at rich clients... TC
has GWT, and Flex and our Pojo Application Server which allows you to run
normal Java at the client as well for cool real time graphs and that sort of
thing. What the PAS can also do is run mixed native and you going to need it
because java is not hot on serial/usb parellel etc... which you will need
for the machine interface... typically the drivers and the interface are not
done in Java.

Really cool project you got there... there are lots of skills needed but I
would definitely use TC.
You outside the box, crossing over between engineering, electronics and IT
so you not going to get too much help in any one mailing list... but it can
be done if you know the protocol on the machines, and you good... in the end
you'll watch and control those machines from anywhere... lucky devil, its a
technical orgasm.. ha ha

The only real POJO Application Server.