Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Scott Ford <sc...@theplaylistgeneration.com> on 2009/07/13 20:13:53 UTC

[users@httpd] Permissions problem with accessing a file via a symbolic link - (Mac OS X 10.5.7, Apache 2.2.11)

I am running Mac OS X 10.5.7 with Apache 2.2.11 installed.  I have an
audio application that creates an html log file of tracks that are
playing.  I am trying to use a symbolic link to access the html file
so I can post it on my site over my LAN.  The file resides in a directory
inside
of my documents folder...

/Users/[username]/Documents/MegaSeg User Data/Logs

I have verified that the permissions to all of the parent directories
have at least execute privileges for others.  The html log file I am
trying to link to has the following privileges...

-rw-r--r--@  1 [username]  staff    625 Jul 10 17:17 NowPlaying.html

I used the following command to setup my symbolic link...

ln -s /Users/[username]/Documents/MegaSeg\ User\ Data/Logs/
NowPlaying.html nowplaying.html

That seemed to work fine, because when I do an ls -al in my website's
folder I see the link.  I have a basic index.html, with a link to
nowplaying.html, but when I click on the link I get a 403 Forbidden
error.

In reading the Apache documentation, I found that I may need to have
FollowSymLinks somewhere in my configuration, but I am not sure from the
Apache documentation where that should go.  I assume it would either be in
the form of a .htaccess file, or somewhere in the httpd.conf file.  It
should be noted that the DocumentRoot directory I am using is configured as
an Alias in my httpd.conf.  I am sure that this is configured correctly as I
can access it just fine over my LAN.

Can anyone help me out with this one?  I am stuck.
Thanks!
--
Scott

Re: [users@httpd] Permissions problem with accessing a file via a symbolic link - (Mac OS X 10.5.7, Apache 2.2.11)

Posted by Doug Bell <do...@plainblack.com>.
Please do not top-post.

On Jul 13, 2009, at 2:49 PM, Scott Ford wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.  Before I received a reply, I did some
> testing and added Options Indexes FollowSymLinks to my alias
> directive, and everything started working.
>
> It should go in a <Directory /your/document/root> block in the
> <VirtualHost *:80> block. If there is no <VirtualHost> block, then
> somewhere after the DocumentRoot declaration.
> It should be Options +FollowSymLinks (always use +/- before the
> option)
>
> I am curious though, I did not add a "+" before, yet it is still
> working. What is the benefit to adding that?

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks  # Enable only these options
Options +Indexes +FollowSymLinks # Add these two options to any
previously enabled options

So if you were to do:

<VirtualHost ...>
     <Directory /webroot>
         Options FollowSymLinks # Only FollowSymLinks, all other
options disabled
     </Directory>
     <Directory /webroot/cgi>
         Options ExecCGI # Only ExecCGI, all other options disabled
     </Directory>
     <Directory /webroot/uploads>
         Options +Indexes # FollowSymLinks and Indexes are both enabled
     </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#options

Doug Bell -- Senior Developer, Plain Black Corp.
[ http://plainblack.com ]
all that groks is

Posted by Scott Ford <sc...@theplaylistgeneration.com>.
Thanks for your reply.  Before I received a reply, I did some testing and
added *Options Indexes FollowSymLinks *to my alias directive, and everything
started working.

It should go in a <Directory /your/document/root> block in the <VirtualHost
*:80> block. If there is no <VirtualHost> block, then somewhere after the
DocumentRoot declaration.
It should be Options +FollowSymLinks (always use +/- before the option)

I am curious though, I did not add a "+" before, yet it is still working.
What is the benefit to adding that?

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Doug Bell <do...@plainblack.com> wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2009, at 1:13 PM, Scott Ford wrote:
>
>  I am running Mac OS X 10.5.7 with Apache 2.2.11 installed.  I have an
>> audio application that creates an html log file of tracks that are
>> playing.  I am trying to use a symbolic link to access the html file
>> so I can post it on my site over my LAN.  The file resides in a directory
>> inside
>> of my documents folder...
>> /Users/[username]/Documents/MegaSeg User Data/Logs
>> I have verified that the permissions to all of the parent directories
>> have at least execute privileges for others.  The html log file I am
>> trying to link to has the following privileges...
>> -rw-r--r--@  1 [username]  staff    625 Jul 10 17:17 NowPlaying.html
>> I used the following command to setup my symbolic link...
>> ln -s /Users/[username]/Documents/MegaSeg\ User\ Data/Logs/
>> NowPlaying.html nowplaying.html
>> That seemed to work fine, because when I do an ls -al in my website's
>> folder I see the link.  I have a basic index.html, with a link to
>> nowplaying.html, but when I click on the link I get a 403 Forbidden
>> error.
>>
>>  What does the error log say exactly?
> http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/DistrosDefaultLayout#head-71b68a0694807d2b3b5d02e46b7a11f01fdd4836 <-
> find your error log here
>
>> In reading the Apache documentation, I found that I may need to have
>> FollowSymLinks somewhere in my configuration, but I am not sure from the
>> Apache documentation where that should go.  I assume it would either be in
>> the form of a .htaccess file, or somewhere in the httpd.conf file.  It
>> should be noted that the DocumentRoot directory I am using is configured as
>> an Alias in my httpd.conf.  I am sure that this is configured correctly as I
>> can access it just fine over my LAN.
>>
>>  It should go in a <Directory /your/document/root> block in the
> <VirtualHost *:80> block. If there is no <VirtualHost> block, then somewhere
> after the DocumentRoot declaration.
> It should be Options +FollowSymLinks (always use +/- before the option)
>
> Doug Bell -- Senior Developer, Plain Black Corp.
> [ http://plainblack.com ]
> all that groks is

Scott Ford
Chief Technology Officer