Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Robert Middleton <os...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/31 20:44:59 UTC

[log4cxx] Contributing

Hi all,

What's the bets way to contribute to log4cxx?  There's a comment from
a few months ago on LOG4CXX-486[1], and not much has been done since
then.  I'm willing to do the work to maintain log4cxx and do the
release, so what is the best way to become a contributor/committer?

-Robert Middleton

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-486?focusedCommentId=16948277&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-16948277

Re: [log4cxx] Contributing

Posted by Robert Middleton <os...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 11:40 PM Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> The project to which PMC members belong is Apache Logging Services. When a committer is invited they have access to all the logging project repositories except for the one area that is limited to PMC members.
>
> If you plan on making significant contributions you should sign an ICLA.

That makes sense; I'll look into doing that shortly.

> Yes, there are a few steps in a release that require a PMC member but most of the release process can be accomplished by a committer. That said, acting as a release manager is a quick way to get invited to any ASF PMC :-)

I have been doing a lot of releases at work lately, so working on most
of the release process should be pretty straightforward for me to do.
I should be able to take a look at the (current) release scripts in
the next few days or so.

-Robert Middleton

Re: [log4cxx] Contributing

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
The project to which PMC members belong is Apache Logging Services. When a committer is invited they have access to all the logging project repositories except for the one area that is limited to PMC members.

If you plan on making significant contributions you should sign an ICLA.

Yes, there are a few steps in a release that require a PMC member but most of the release process can be accomplished by a committer. That said, acting as a release manager is a quick way to get invited to any ASF PMC :-)

Ralph

Re: [log4cxx] Contributing

Posted by Robert Middleton <os...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 10:52 AM Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de> wrote:

> Guten Tag Robert Middleton,
> am Dienstag, 31. Dezember 2019 um 21:44 schrieben Sie:
>
> > [...]so what is the best way to become a contributor/committer?
>
> I suggest you start reading through the following docs:
>
> > A committer is a developer that was given write access to the code
> > repository and has a signed Contributor License Agreement (CLA) on
> > file. They have an apache.org mail address.
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#committers

Thanks for that, I haven't seen that page before.

> https://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html
> https://community.apache.org/contributors/

After re-reading these, I wonder who are the PMC members for log4cxx
at the moment, and is it the same people as for log4j(e.g. Ralph,
Matt, etc.)?  And would it make sense for me to sign a CLA, or would
that not be helpful?

> The following covers what needs to be done for releases:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html
> http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html
>
> Some parts have already been automated using "release_*.sh"-scripts in
> the root of the project, I think up to the point on which releases
> where tagged, build and uploaded to the following staging repo:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/logging/log4cxx
>
> After that point, if I remember correctly, people need to vote on the
> release, it needs to be moved to the release-repo "somehow" and your
> keys used to sign the release should have been added to the keys of
> the release-repo BEFOREHAND.

From my reading of the documentation, the release repo is just an SVN

Re: [log4cxx] Contributing

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Robert Middleton,
am Dienstag, 31. Dezember 2019 um 21:44 schrieben Sie:

> [...]so what is the best way to become a contributor/committer?

I suggest you start reading through the following docs:

> A committer is a developer that was given write access to the code
> repository and has a signed Contributor License Agreement (CLA) on
> file. They have an apache.org mail address.

http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#committers

https://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html
https://community.apache.org/contributors/

The following covers what needs to be done for releases:

http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html
http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html

Some parts have already been automated using "release_*.sh"-scripts in
the root of the project, I think up to the point on which releases
where tagged, build and uploaded to the following staging repo:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/logging/log4cxx

After that point, if I remember correctly, people need to vote on the
release, it needs to be moved to the release-repo "somehow" and your
keys used to sign the release should have been added to the keys of
the release-repo BEFOREHAND.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55