Posted to user@hawq.apache.org by Ed Espino <es...@apache.org> on 2017/03/31 23:27:07 UTC

Apache HAWQ binary release and Hadoop vendor neutrality

HAWQ,

As we get closer to producing our initial binary release, there is one
important thread (discussed in HAWQ-1421
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAWQ-1421> and supporting PR #1208
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-hawq/pull/1208>) I would like to bring
to the forefront. All RPMs produced as part of our initial HAWQ binary
release *MUST* be Hadoop vendor agnostic. We will be able to clearly
demonstrate this by being able to successfully install and run HAWQ and
supporting components (PXF, Ranger Plugin Service, etc) using RPMs produced
from Apache Bigtop and not any specific commercial vendor. This is a core
ASF principle we continue to follow.

Thoughts? Concerns?

-=e

--
*Ed Espino*

Re: Apache HAWQ binary release and Hadoop vendor neutrality

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Keaton Adams <ka...@pivotal.io> wrote:

> Probably due to a lack of understanding on my part.
>
> Is HAWQ tested with the Open Source Apache Hadoop project?  Will it work with plan vanilla Hadoop?
>
> http://hadoop.apache.org/
> http://hadoop.apache.org/releases.html

That's a great question. Lets unpack what it means to be tested with
"plain vanilla Hadoop".
If you look at what kind of artifacts Apache Hadoop community is
releasing you will see
that they consist of source code and a tarball with Java binary
convenice artifacts. E.g.
here's how it looks like for Hadoop 2.7.3:
       http://archive.apache.org/dist/hadoop/common/hadoop-2.7.3/
there's no RPMs of DEBs. That happens on Apache Bigtop side when Apache Bigtop
puts together a distribution around Apache Hadoop.

Putting this together means that if HAWQ wants to test its RPMs against
"plain vanilla Hadoop" the only game in town are "plain vanilla Hadoop" RPMs
produced by Bigtop.

At the same time, HAWQ may decide to utilize Hadoop Java tarball somewhere in
its pipeline -- that'd be fine too, but probably won't be super useful
to end users.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Apache HAWQ binary release and Hadoop vendor neutrality

Posted by Keaton Adams <ka...@pivotal.io>.
Probably due to a lack of understanding on my part.

Is HAWQ tested with the Open Source Apache Hadoop project?  Will it work
with plan vanilla Hadoop?

http://hadoop.apache.org/
http://hadoop.apache.org/releases.html

Thanks again,

--

*Keaton Adams | Advisory Data Engineer | Pivotal*
Direct: 719-309-8960 | Email: kadams@pivotal.io |

Re: Apache HAWQ binary release and Hadoop vendor neutrality

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Keaton Adams <ka...@pivotal.io>.
Is it Apache Hadoop compatible? Is it tested with the Apache distro?

Thanks,

Keaton

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Ming Li <ml...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Ed,

What is the relationship between Apache Bigtop and any other commercial
vendor?  All features and codes in Bigtop are all included into all other
commercial vendor?  If so, then we are pleased to support it because hawq
can be used in much wider scope.

Thanks.

Posted by Ming Li <ml...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Ed,