Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Dmitry Kan <so...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/05 14:47:20 UTC

OOV queries

Hi,

Solr is good at caching: even if first "cold" query takes longer time, the
subsequent one is much quicker, given that it shares the fq's of the first
query.

This is more like an idea question:

what about the out-of-vocabulary (OOV) queries? According to my quick
measurements, they take same amount of time when repeated and return
nothing.

Most of such queries are usually user typos, so I could imagine
implementing a round-trip to the server with an auto-corrected query, if
the first query returned 0 hits. This does not solve the underlining slow 0
hits query though.

Would it make sense to implement an OOV cache to speed things up? Does one
exist already in Lucene / Solr?

--
Dmitry Kan
Blog: http://dmitrykan.blogspot.com

Re: OOV queries

Posted by Dmitry Kan <so...@gmail.com>.
Mike,

I did only measurements by hand, i.e. no scientific figures yet. Basically
the same oov query takes about same amount of time when repeated. Which is
surprising. Ok, to add to the mix: from a list of fqs that are on that
query, one is marked with cache=false and a cost > 100.

Dmitry

Re: OOV queries

Posted by Michael Sokolov <ms...@safaribooksonline.com>.