Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eric <sp...@scoot.netis.com> on 2006/11/07 20:37:59 UTC

THANKS: VSS, Subversion, etc.

Thanks to all for your assistance and advice on the "limitations" of
Subversion and the compares of SVN and VSS.

I think I have enough information now to formulate a good argument in favor
of keeping SVN, and I'm pretty sure we're going to do that, at least for
source code trees.

Thanks again.. :-)

Re: THANKS: VSS, Subversion, etc.

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
Another item to consider is that Subversion is open. There are a lot of 3rd
parties providing addons for it. There aren't too many doing that for VSS,
and those that do have to somehow get that info from MS or reverse-engineer
it. Whatever solution you choose, try to pick one that doesn't lock you in
and leave you high and dry if the vendor drops the product or goes out of
business.

Re: THANKS: VSS, Subversion, etc.

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.
Eric wrote:

> Thanks to all for your assistance and advice on the "limitations" of
> Subversion and the compares of SVN and VSS.
>
> I think I have enough information now to formulate a good argument in
> favor of keeping SVN, and I'm pretty sure we're going to do that, at
> least for source code trees.

Eric, sorry I'm joining the conversation late, but I have one more data
point that wasn't directly addressed here (although it may have been in
one of the linked websites): any illusion of user security / access
restrictions in VSS is exactly that, an illusion.

Just viewing a VSS tree requires full OS read/write access to the
underlying filesystem, because there is no such thing as a "VSS server".
That means anyone who wants to can go in and view or modify whatever
they want. Sure, you can restrict access using the VSS Admin tool, but
anyone else could simply go in and change the underlying files, or clear
the admin password. This may not be a huge issue if all your developers
are trusted, but I don't think there's really any organization that can
truly say that with 100% certainty.