Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by "Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai" <tz...@apache.org> on 2021/03/25 08:27:28 UTC

[DISCUSS] Releasing Stateful Functions 3.0.0

Hi everyone,

We'd like to prepare to release StateFun 3.0.0 over the next few days,
ideally starting the first release candidate early next week.

This is a version bump from 2.x to 3.x, with some major new features and
reworks:

   - New request-reply protocol:
   the protocol has been reworked as StateFun is moving forward towards a
   "remote functions first" design. The new protocol enhances StateFun apps to
   be hot upgraded without restarting the StateFun runtime, including
   registering new state for functions, and adding new functions to the app.
   - Cross-language type system:
   The new protocol also enables a much more ergonomic, cross-language type
   system. This makes it much easier and natural for users to send messages of
   various types around between their functions (primitive types, or custom
   types such as JSON messages).
   - Java SDK for remote functions: Going remote first, we've now also
   added a new Java SDK for remote functions.

These are some major features that users would benefit from greatly.
Since this release also contains breaking changes, it's nice if we can get
this out earlier so that new users would not be onboarded with APIs that
are going to be immediately deprecated.

We're in the final stages of preparing documentation and examples [1] to go
with the release, and would like to kick off the release candidates early
next week.

Please let us know if you have any concerns.

Thanks,
Gordon

[1] https://github.com/apache/flink-statefun-playground

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing Stateful Functions 3.0.0

Posted by "Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai" <tz...@apache.org>.
@Konstantin Knauf <kn...@apache.org>
Yes, we'll make sure that migration docs are added before finalizing the
release.

I've proceeded to create RC1 for StateFun 3.0.0. Voting is happening on a
separate thread.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Knauf <kn...@apache.org>.
Hi Gordon,