Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> on 2011/08/19 11:34:21 UTC

[DISCUSS] release maven-3.0.4 now with the old aether

Hi folks!

I know aether @eclipse should be starting in the next weeks. But it will certainly take a few more weeks to get all the packages renamed (most probably), etc.

Should we create a 3.0.4 with the old aether package names now and start with the upgrade later?

+1 from me.

LieGrue,
strub

Re: [DISCUSS] release maven-3.0.4 now with the old aether

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me too.

Kristian

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
Den 19.08.2011 11:34, skrev Mark Struberg:
> Hi folks!
>
> I know aether @eclipse should be starting in the next weeks. But it will certainly take a few more weeks to get all the packages renamed (most probably), etc.
>
> Should we create a 3.0.4 with the old aether package names now and start with the upgrade later?
>
> +1 from me.
>
> LieGrue,
> strub

If we could plan it for early next week I'll see if I can get some MNG
issues done over the weekend.

Kristian

Re: [DISCUSS] release maven-3.0.4 now with the old aether

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
Only that the majority of users will get just get "unable to resolve artifact" errors, and probably never know that they can update aether - which, whilst it isn't a difficult thing to do is just a bit fiddly - instead they'll just get frustrated that once again "maven black magic sucks".

If rolling without 1.12 of aether, could we at least mention clearly in whatever release notes are blogged/emailed out that if they encounter such issues, they can be resolved with an Aether update.

Still, I guess things could be worse - we could be using a build tool built on Ivy.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Sorry Mark, exactly this solution has explicitly been vetoed with the vast majority of -1 because of various other reasons.

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
+1.
It seems a sensible plan to me.

First release a 3.0.4 ASAP to show Maven keeps moving.
Then release a 3.0.5 when Aether and Sisu will have thoroughly finished
their landings at eclipse.

Cheers
Le 19 août 2011 13:32, "Mark Struberg" <st...@yahoo.de> a écrit :
> I think the outcome of the other vote doesn't change much.
> The following scenarios are possible:
>
> a.) The vote fails and maven stays at aether 1.11. In this case we still
should ship a 3.0.4 to fix a few bugs on our side.

> b.) The vote passes and aether @eclipse must change package names + GAV
then it will certainly take a bit time on both sides. So users still could
upgrade to aether-1.12 manually if they want.

> c.) The vote passes and aether GAV and package names are allowed to remain
com.sonatype.* In this case users might also manually update if they want.

> In any case we should ship maven-3.0.5 once there is a new aether version
shipped by the Eclipse Foundation AND we did run sufficient tests with this
version on our side.

Posted by Chas Emerick <ce...@snowtide.com>.
For what it's worth, working around Maven not having had a release since the
1.12 release of Aether has been an unwelcome hassle.  (FYI, I reported one
of the issues Jason mentioned, MNG-5087.)

I don't have much perspective on the intricacies or history of the licensing
and governance issues that have been raised re: Aether, its move to Eclipse,
and so on.  Suffice it to say that, as a user, it's disappointing and
frustrating that that such issues appear to have stalled the release of
bugfixes that presumably lots of people are waiting for and perhaps blocking
on.

Cheers,

- Chas

Re: [DISCUSS] release maven-3.0.4 now with the old aether

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
I'll add my opinion as a Maven user and someone outside of the dev team:

My first hand choice would be a 3.0.4 with Aether and Sisu fixes. My
take on the discussions is that including Aether 1.12 is possible
license vice, but there was some concerns having a dependency on
something not being within the control of the devs. But if it was at
Eclipse everyone (or at least a majority) was fine with it. So, if the
ongoing vote passes, wouldn't it be ok to release 3.0.4 with the
latest existing Aether and Sisu releases from Sonatype (here I assume
that what's being moved to Eclipse is that exact code). Any fixes for
that code would then be handled over at Eclipse and used in future
Maven releases.
After that, the work could start to adapt Maven in what ever way to
use the upcoming releases from the new Eclipse projects. It should
give you time to do this without rushing and at the same time keep us
users happy. :-)
I'm also thinking that the release process (vote) on 3.0.4 could start
in parallel with the ongoing Aether/Sisu Eclipse/EPL vote and have a
dependency to that outcome. Would that be possible? If so, 3.0.4 (if
the vote passes) could be released right after Aether and Sisu is
accepted at Eclipse (next week I take it if everything goes according
to plan).

If the above isn't feasible, I would rather see 3.0.4 without
Aether/Sisu fixes released soon than 3.0.4 with Aether/Sisu fixes
released in a month. In my opinion it's more important to get a new
version out than trying to get as many bug fixes as possible fixed. I
know this might not make sense from a usage perspective, but I'm more
worried about what people thinks just looking at how long it takes
between releases. Release early, release often.

/Anders

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
3/4 weeks ago we should/may have done a release of 3.0.4 with existing
Aether/Sisu dependencies (thus yes existing ones are from Sonatype but are
dual licensed ASL/EPL - or maybe full ASL I don't remember).

Arnaud

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
I misread you, sloppy of me. EPL aether waits; we could do 3.0.4 for
other non-aether stuff.

Kristian

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.