Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Alexey Panchenko <al...@olmisoft.com> on 2006/09/07 10:08:45 UTC

Re[2]: How can I get commit access?

Will Glass-Husain wrote:

> It's also a big plus if you are active on the user list helping
> people out.

Is it the mandatory requirement ?

--
Best regards,
 Alexey                            mailto:alex+news@olmisoft.com

Re: Re[2]: How can I get commit access?

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
FYI.  We're having a discussion on general@jakarta about the JIRA
system.  No news on that yet.

WILL

On 9/7/06, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> Alexey Panchenko <al...@olmisoft.com> writes:
>
> >Will Glass-Husain wrote:
>
> >> It's also a big plus if you are active on the user list helping
> >> people out.
>
> >Is it the mandatory requirement ?
>
> No. If you want to contribute to Velocity (or to any other Apache
> project), you should understand, that Apache works in the way of a
> meritocracy, see
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#meritocracy
>
> Joining the user list and helping users out is a way to show the
> community that you are interested in a long-term contribution to
> Velocity and know your way around. Which builds merit...
>
> ...you get the picture. :-)
>
> Velocity is a special case here, because all of us are very reluctant
> to apply patches "just so". If a patch sits in the Tracker for a long
> time, chances are that there is a reason why it wasn't applied and the
> original author wasn't interested to amend the original contribution.
>
> A week is not a long time, BTW.
>
> Here is, what IMHO helps you to convince a committer to apply your
> patch (at least that's what works for me):
>
> - Describe the issue. Give a test case where a problem is and how your
>  patch changes the problem
>
> - Give unit tests
>
> - Make sure that your patch adheres to the Velocity coding guidelines (which
>  are basically non-existent but we do have some at
>  http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-velocity/CodeStandards
>
> - Give unit tests
>
> - Show that your patch doesn't only "scratch your need" but helps everyone.
>  Understand, that the current committers are very reluctant to apply patches
>  to Velocity because we care a lot about backwards compatibility.
>
> - Make sure that all existing Unit test still pass with your patch applied.
>
> - And last, but not least, give unit tests. Best is a test that fails before
>  you applied the patch and passes afterwards.
>
>        Best regards
>                Henning

> RedHat Certified Engineer -- Jakarta Turbine Development  -- hero for hire
>   Linux, Java, perl, Solaris -- Consulting, Training, Development
>
> Social behaviour: Bavarians can be extremely egalitarian and folksy.
>                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria
> Most Franconians do not like to be called Bavarians.
>                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconia

Forio Business Simulations

Will Glass-Husain
wglass@forio.com
www.forio.com

Re: Re[2]: How can I get commit access?

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
Probably not strictly mandatory to actually help on the user list, but
you should be subscribed to the user list so you can at least be aware
of problems (which may be in code you contributed/committed).
helping users also demonstrates willingness to help others out with
their problems.  In the long run, someone who is willing to help
others with their problems is someone who, as a committer, would
probably apply other contributors' patches.  Applying other
contributors' patches helps other contributors to become committers as
well.  That makes you more valuable to the project.  Also, it just
generally makes us like you more! :)